Who's the greatest ?

Don't be taking the piss now. I'll see your Nicky Summerbee and raise you Roberto Soldado.
I will see your Soldado and raise you Bradbury!

We could do this all night man. We've had so much wank players!

My fav ever City player would be Kinkladze. Not sure how well he'd do in your team now if he was in his pomp

I will see your Soldado and raise you Bradbury!

We could do this all night man. We've had so much wank players!

My fav ever City player would be Kinkladze. Not sure how well he'd do in your team now if he was in his pomp
Said it many times kinkladze was absolute quality, but the fact he had 10 shite team-mates around him magnified his class in my eyes, brilliant player yes but world class player no, silva, yaya,vinny,sergio,all have been or still are world class, a level above kinky

Kinkladze, sadly never had the chance to shine in a progressive City team, if he had I reckon he'd be up there with Silva and Toure, perhaps beyond but it's all conjecture, an age old case as unfortunately happens in life and sport, right player wrong time.

Moo
It was a truly horrific injury - burst blood vessels, several ligaments torn and a massively swollen knee. Colin came back (god knows how) with limited movement and played at full back. From what I've read, even with today's medical technology, there would be no guarantee of proper ligament repairs - the damage was so bad. Colin never believed that Martin Buchan deliberately set out to harm him, but Buchan never got in touch with him to see how he was - something that hurt him.

How good was Colin ? Box-to-box - used to run further than any other player in the league, but he had rapid pace as well. Think of the Yaya surge, now think of a smaller version of him making that surge numerous times in every game. Supremely skilled, good in the air and with a shot as powerful as the Peter Lorimers of the league. With a tiny number of exceptions, hardly any players of the 60s and 70s would be suited to today's game - good players yes, but generally not as athletic as they are now despite extensive training. If we could travel in time and relocate Colin to today's Prem, he would be equally as good. Like Martin Peters (the late arriving/ghost into the box midfielder from 66), he was ahead of his time. He would be as vital to the current City team as he was in the 60s and 70s.

I saw him play for a City Legends V ICI over 35s team twenty-odd years ago close up. The King would have been in his late 40s at the time. He was pinging the ball 40, 50 and 60 yards to Peter Barnes with unbelievable consistent accuracy without being able to flex his knee properly. Generally, a shy bloke who shunned the limelight.

It was a truly horrific injury - burst blood vessels, several ligaments torn and a massively swollen knee. Colin came back (god knows how) with limited movement and played at full back. From what I've read, even with today's medical technology, there would be no guarantee of proper ligament repairs - the damage was so bad. Colin never believed that Martin Buchan deliberately set out to harm him, but Buchan never got in touch with him to see how he was - something that hurt him.

How good was Colin ? Box-to-box - used to run further than any other player in the league, but he had rapid pace as well. Think of the Yaya surge, now think of a smaller version of him making that surge numerous times in every game. Supremely skilled, good in the air and with a shot as powerful as the Peter Lorimers of the league. With a tiny number of exceptions, hardly any players of the 60s and 70s would be suited to today's game - good players yes, but generally not as athletic as they are now despite extensive training. If we could travel in time and relocate Colin to today's Prem, he would be equally as good. Like Martin Peters (the late arriving/ghost into the box midfielder from 66), he was ahead of his time. He would be as vital to the current City team as he was in the 60s and 70s.

I saw him play for a City Legends V ICI over 35s team twenty-odd years ago close up. The King would have been in his late 40s at the time. He was pinging the ball 40, 50 and 60 yards to Peter Barnes with unbelievable consistent accuracy without being able to flex his knee properly. Generally, a shy bloke who shunned the limelight.

I saw the ICI game as well, we said a good few times whilst watching that match how good he still was. Great player

Colin Bell could play today wearing a Crombie coat.

Made for today's game & pitches. He'd be worth a world record value.

YAYA in his pomp is closest,which says so much about both players,but Colin's not called The King for nothing.

My utterly biased dad would agree with this.

As would the near 90 year-old we sometimes see in the lift on the way up to Level Three.

For me, it has to be Yaya, just ahead of Merlin, but as they have different attributes, even then, it's not easy to compare them.

And as Mrs Vienna often says, it's virtually impossible to compare players from different eras, as there are so many differences between what the current-day player has at his disposal, compared to their forebears. Better pitches, lighter shirts, lighter balls, better training facilities and dietary science, etc.

Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure, Dave Silva, Kun Aguero...
All the best ever in their own way.

I can't split them.

Kinkladze can have a mention too but wasn’t quite up to the 4 above.

Bell was before my time but I think footballers from them days can't be compared to footballers of today.
They weren't proper athletes like they are today.

Do you really believe that last paragraph?

If you do, then you haven't heard how Malcolm Allison had the squad running miles around Wythenshaw Park to improve their fitness, doing ballet to improve their flexibility, eating pasta to improve their diet and other revolutionary ideas that had never been used before.

Weren't proper athletes, my arse!

Do you really believe that last paragraph?

If you do, then you haven't heard how Malcolm Allison had the squad running miles around Wythenshaw Park to improve their fitness, doing ballet to improve their flexibility, eating pasta to improve their diet and other revolutionary ideas that had never been used before.

Weren't proper athletes, my arse!

Your arse then.

Embarrassing yourself if you think they were on a par with today's footballers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.