Why are English managers so garbage?

I'm not sure either would, I'd already realised that Bellingham was a bellend and the more I see of Rice the more I see he's a dick-head.

Maddison would be a good manager I think, always comes across as sharp, confident and level headed. He's always fucking injured aswell so plenty of time to do his coaching badges!

One reason may be that apart from a few YouTube channels there is very little detailed analysis of tactics and formations etc in the British media.

They have weekly access to Pep and many of the other top managers in World football but all they ask is stupid questions trying to get something they can spin as 'controversial' for clickbait purposes. Or about the 115 charges or other negative stuff. I can imagine Pep would probably talk for hours on tactics and the theory of why he does things the way he does.

As a result there is not really a culture of detailed tactical knowledge or discussion of ideas in Britain for British managers to lean into or to be judged on.

To be honest I really have no idea whether the foreign press actually are any better or any more interested in tactics, but they can't be any less interested!

mike_bassett_england_manager.jpg

Domestic football culture is obsessed with physicality and mentality at the expense of intelligence and technique. It's the opposite of the Michels-Cruyff-Pep school of thought.

It’s interesting that none of the recent English managers who’ve had a modicum of success in the Premier League, Hodgson, Potter, Howe, had much, if any of a playing career at the top level.

Maybe we will see what seems to be happening a bit more in the NFL, where you’re seeing relatively young men choosing a career in coaching as an alternative to playing, rather than the traditional path of going into it when their playing career is over?

I doont know if I have already replied to thhis but my impression is basically that we are stuck in the 90s. Our naational press rejects foriegn being better, Pep I think has proved them so wrong and they hate him for it. Once he is gone I think they hope it will go back to the old days again of kick and rush exciting football.

One reason may be that apart from a few YouTube channels there is very little detailed analysis of tactics and formations etc in the British media.

They have weekly access to Pep and many of the other top managers in World football but all they ask is stupid questions trying to get something they can spin as 'controversial' for clickbait purposes. Or about the 115 charges or other negative stuff. I can imagine Pep would probably talk for hours on tactics and the theory of why he does things the way he does.

As a result there is not really a culture of detailed tactical knowledge or discussion of ideas in Britain for British managers to lean into or to be judged on.

To be honest I really have no idea whether the foreign press actually are any better or any more interested in tactics, but they can't be any less interested!
Spot-on. You can see how stupid many media organisations are by the way they consistently get the formations wrong when they show the team line-ups. Admittedly it is more complex with teams like City where formations switch so quickly within matches. The Man of the Match award is usually automatically given to the goalscorer by the TV pundits especially Stuart Pearce.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.