William Carvalho

You're going to have to get used to it, because we're not going to bring in some enforcer just to make you feel more confident in the midfield. Pep knows his way is successful, so the pivot will either be Yaya or Gundogan, or maybe Carvalho if he comes.

Fernandinho might come in for a 3241 but that's not necessarily more defensive.
I have to say, every time ive watched Carvalho play (admittedly only 4 or 5 times) he has looked very average. Not great on the ball and positionally caught out quite a bit. Is he really up to what would be needed?

I have to say, every time ive watched Carvalho play (admittedly only 4 or 5 times) he has looked very average. Not great on the ball and positionally caught out quite a bit. Is he really up to what would be needed?

I have to say that when I've watched him he's looked very good positionally, very good on the ball, always open to receive a pass from someone under pressure, hard to get off the ball & always knows where he's sending the ball before it gets to him. Plus the great passing range which Portugal depend on a lot with their style of play.

I assume, if Pep's interested in him, he sees him more like I do than you do, because we've got no need for the guy you described, but the one I described above would be very useful.

I have to say that when I've watched him he's looked very good positionally, very good on the ball, always open to receive a pass from someone under pressure, hard to get off the ball & always knows where he's sending the ball before it gets to him. Plus the great passing range which Portugal depend on a lot with their style of play.

I assume, if Pep's interested in him, he sees him more like I do than you do, because we've got no need for the guy you described, but the one I described above would be very useful.
Cheers, like i said I havent seen masses of him so presumed with the hype he has, he must be better than what i have seen.

You should go into a game thinking this midfield will walk all over the oppenents. Most of the time last season, I shit myself at the thought of a toure, silva and de bruyne midfield. Technically it's brilliant, but it's not enough defensively.

Guardiola has consistently said he feels the best form of defence is keeping the ball. If you always have the ball, your opponents can't score. Furthermore, the further away from your goal the ball is, the less chance your opponent has to counter-attack. Bearing all of this in mind, Guardiola seems intent on having a ball-playing DM as opposed to a high-energy, tough tackling midfielder.

Before he arrived, there was some posters on here who thought Guardiola was going to give Fernando a lot of game time. Funnily enough, there were the same ones who said Silva wouldn't play much. Both things are laughable now when you think about it.

As other posters have said, having new full backs come in with pace, althleticism and the technique to drop in to central areas to provide support for the DM will be absolutely key next season. You won't find a better ball player than Yaya in that role. Yes he lacks mobility and can get overran, but if he had say Mendy and Alves playing a similar line to him, he will be more than covered.

William Carvalho just looks like a slightly taller, slightly younger Fernando to me. Tackles and gives the ball square or backwards to the nearest player to him. Absolutely no ambition in his passing whatsoever. He just doesn't seem to fit the Guardiola mould for that position at all. The only possible link is that Pep's brother is his agent, but I'd be pretty disappointed if Ferran, Txiki, Pep and Pere were operating some kind of conspiracy to divert money from the club to line their own pockets and buy unsuitable players.

William Carvalho just looks like a slightly taller, slightly younger Fernando to me. Tackles and gives the ball square or backwards to the nearest player to him. Absolutely no ambition in his passing whatsoever. He just doesn't seem to fit the Guardiola mould for that position at all. The only possible link is that Pep's brother is his agent, but I'd be pretty disappointed if Ferran, Txiki, Pep and Pere were operating some kind of conspiracy to divert money from the club to line their own pockets and buy unsuitable players.

The first part of your post was right, but your assessment of Carvalho couldn't be more wrong, he's nothing like Fernando. He's a fantastic passer of the ball, more than capable of spreading it to the wide men or passing it between the lines to the front men coming into pockets of space. He's a bal playing midfielder, far more like Yaya than Fernando.

He's nothing like Fernando. His main strength is his passing ability and that is why Pep would be interested in him as he's suitable to play in the pivot role.

You mean the game against that speedless, defensive, Russian side who offered very little?
Everytime i've watched him he has offered little except strength and a side ways pass.

Completely agree with this, I'm absolutely baffled at people saying he has "Passing range" his passing range is about 5 yards, and it invariably sideways or backwards.

We replaced DeJong because he wasn't good enough on the ball. We replaced Javi Garcia because he wasn't good enough on the ball. We're about to replace Fernando because he wasn't good enough on the ball. It makes absolutely no sense to replace him with William Carvalho, because he's no better on the ball than the 3 who came before him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.