Willy Caballero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top ten keepers in England for me. Bravo hasn't earned that accolade (yet) so why not give Caballero a few games? I trust him to make big saves.

To be fair West Ham didn't bombard the area with Carroll or press anything like I expected last night.

It will be a very dramatic decision for the manager to keep Caballero in the team for the next game as that will essentially be the end of the new keeper and an acceptance that the new keeper has not been compatible with the rest of the team, confidence is shot to hell and should not be here in the first place. I will not happen, face it. Caballero will be back on the bench for the next game.

Willy is our cup goalkeeper and nothing more. It would take a string of absolutely horrific performances from Bravo for that to change. Despite what some would have you believe, that's not happened yet.

I've never had a problem with Caballero starting for us anyway, he just seemed to be stuck with a reputation of being naff after originally failing to impress in a City shirt.

He's only been playing consistent top level football for six years but he became a decent keeper for Malaga and has performed well overall for us. The Cup Final v Liverpool stands out but he also gets barely any credit for his saves; he pulled off one early in the 3-1 v Barca when Stones let Neymar have a run into the box (similar to West Ham's chance last night). The game could have gone in an entirely different direction if that had gone in.

The interesting thing for me is that the height difference between him and Bravo is minimal but the opposition always look to drop the ball right on top of Bravo and put a few target men around him to cause chaos. Put Willy in goal and it's like the opposition throw that out of the window because they don't seem to realise he's only 6ft1.

I think the bald head gives him more presence.

How have people come to the conclusion that willy is better? He did well last night but lets face it, he wasnt put under much pressure and had bravo parried that shot straiht to feghouli, people would be slagging him.

I've never had a problem with Caballero starting for us anyway, he just seemed to be stuck with a reputation of being naff after originally failing to impress in a City shirt.
He had the same reputation Bravo gets now, it was unfounded then for Willy it's unfounded now for Bravo. Who can forget the outcry when he was picked for the final last year.

I haven't played football for 10 years (packed in when I was 50), but I have played a lot of 'pub side' standard football as a keeper. Whilst I can't put my finger on it exactly, for me Willy seems more comfortable with the ball. By that I am not referring just to distribution, but his general handling of the ball and, dare I say it, his confidence. I don't think there is a lot to choose between him and Bravo, but if we were starting from scratch with no history, I would go for Willy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.