Windows XP SP3

Ken Shabby

Anybody installed this yet? Is it worth it? My PC's not internet connected so I suspect it's not worth my bother.

Does anyone else use XPLite? I run it and have rid myself of loads of excess Microsoft 'bloatage' such as IE, Outlook, Media Player etc.

dont download and install it yet!!!! its been taken off the download sites from microsoft coaz of some problems with other microsoft software.

wait till it come back out!

geek said:
dont download and install it yet!!!! its been taken off the download sites from microsoft coaz of some problems with other microsoft software.

wait till it come back out!
Cheers man. Have it on my desktop ready for the all clear!

think its back out now but i've heard it crashes computers with an amd processer!!!!

microsoft are shit mate, but we have to put up with it!!

did you know they have even given up on vista?? turns out vista is the new Me edition!

geek said:
think its back out now but i've heard it crashes computers with an amd processer!!!!

microsoft are shit mate, but we have to put up with it!!

did you know they have even given up on vista?? turns out vista is the new Me edition!

I hadn't heard that, last I heard was that despite pressure from IT professionals the world over (who don't want to touch Vista with a bargepole) they're sticking to their decision to stop selling XP, the exception being very low power laptops (with specific specs) for which they'll continue to supply XP simply because these machines aren't powerfull enough for Vista.

A while back I decided to have a (sceptical) glance at Ubuntu linux, 2 months later I no longer use windows although I still have it on a small partition on the laptop just in case. I thought there would be things it wouldn't do (like streaming the freeview card in my desktop machine to my laptop). Its been a learning experience but it does everything I could do with Windows and one or two things I couldn't (for example I can now make my laptop sound play through the 5.1 speakers attached to the desktop machine). Both my tired old machines also do evrything a bit quicker. All completely free!

Doctor Congo said:
A while back I decided to have a (sceptical) glance at Ubuntu linux, 2 months later I no longer use windows although I still have it on a small partition on the laptop just in case. I thought there would be things it wouldn't do (like streaming the freeview card in my desktop machine to my laptop). Its been a learning experience but it does everything I could do with Windows and one or two things I couldn't (for example I can now make my laptop sound play through the 5.1 speakers attached to the desktop machine). Both my tired old machines also do evrything a bit quicker.

Same boat here at school, I have a technicians machine that's pretty much on it's last legs when it comes to running XP....but it runs Hardy Heron like a dream.

The WINE app makes things easier too.

quiet_riot said:
Doctor Congo said:
A while back I decided to have a (sceptical) glance at Ubuntu linux, 2 months later I no longer use windows although I still have it on a small partition on the laptop just in case. I thought there would be things it wouldn't do (like streaming the freeview card in my desktop machine to my laptop). Its been a learning experience but it does everything I could do with Windows and one or two things I couldn't (for example I can now make my laptop sound play through the 5.1 speakers attached to the desktop machine). Both my tired old machines also do evrything a bit quicker.

Same boat here at school, I have a technicians machine that's pretty much on it's last legs when it comes to running XP....but it runs Hardy Heron like a dream.

The WINE app makes things easier too.
Still using Gutsy meself, will probably have a look when its been out a bit longer, but no reason to upgrade yet. Its been an eye opener though, can still use my old favourite apps like Opera, Azureus and Skype exactly the same as in Windows, while Mythtv and Pulseaudio are awesome. Probably the biggest difference from windows though is how helpful the geeks are when you don't know how to do something, you cannot buy that level of support for commercial software.

Doctor Congo said:
Probably the biggest difference from windows though is how helpful the geeks are when you don't know how to do something, you cannot buy that level of support for commercial software.

Yeah, but I found when I was using GG that they (the geeks) wanted me to use too much command line sudo stuff when I had a problem!

Confuzzled me somewhat.

quiet_riot said:
Doctor Congo said:
Probably the biggest difference from windows though is how helpful the geeks are when you don't know how to do something, you cannot buy that level of support for commercial software.

Yeah, but I found when I was using GG that they (the geeks) wanted me to use too much command line sudo stuff when I had a problem!

Confuzzled me somewhat.

Maybe I've been fortunate as I've had very little of that to do, although I have occasionally copied and pasted the odd cryptic command from a web page into a terminal.

Learning one or two basics has actually proved useful though as I'm responsible for the Asterisk based phone system at work, it has a web interface (though no graphical desktop) but there are some things you can only do from the command line.

What's up with all the anti Vista stuff?

I know loads that have it and have had no problems whatsoever... myself included.

I use XP at work and it's shite in comparison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.