Women's Football/Mark Sampson

Misguided posting this in a city forum tbh..

The game is growing and if you don't expect it to be like the men's game you will appreciate it far more.

It'll never be like the men's game. And I think that is more than half the problem for those who are 'antagonistic' towards it! I find it a refreshing change from the men's game.

The BBC are wholly, lock stock and barrel into diversity, and so we get the women's game pumped at every angle! There is, however,a distinct lack of criticism where criticism is due. If a defender or striker makes a bollox of it there is much more sympathy than if one of the recognised players from the men's game did the same. They are also highly reluctant to make the slightest comparison between the two.

Plus it's just another thing the scum over the road deserve grief for.

And if those bastards did start a women's team you would never hear the end of it from the media. You'd have their Ministry of Truth telling all and sundry that they've actually been operating a woman's team for years and years but didn't want any publicity. In point of fact City only started a female side because we are jealous of the rags.

They are also highly reluctant to make the slightest comparison between the two.

Probably just as well because they might start asking a few uncomfortable questions.

Why are there more histrionics in the men's game than the womens?

Why is there more respect for the referee in the women's game?

Why can the fans of different teams sit together at the women's game without feeling the need to throttle each other?

It'll never be like the men's game. And I think that is more than half the problem for those who are 'antagonistic' towards it! I find it a refreshing change from the men's game.

The BBC are wholly, lock stock and barrel into diversity, and so we get the women's game pumped at every angle! There is, however,a distinct lack of criticism where criticism is due. If a defender or striker makes a bollox of it there is much more sympathy than if one of the recognised players from the men's game did the same. They are also highly reluctant to make the slightest comparison between the two.

Have noticed that Channel Four's coverage is definitely an improvement on the BBC's. Jonathan Pearce really struggles to commentate on the women's game without coming out with some ridiculously trivial comments. Remember watching the Chelsea Arsenal FA Cup final last year and him saying something about Clare Rafferty struggling with black moods in her life!

I think it'd be great for the women's game if someone like Channel 4 got the full WSL rights and broadcast a game each week. Think it could give it a real lift in the same way loads of people were into Italian football when I was younger thanks to their coverage.

It always disappoints me that the stock answer/comment on womens football is the standard is rubbish. What a load of pony. But the reason that is peddled out is because we all make comparisons to the mens game, it's as different as darts and golf. Some of those involved with the womens game are trying to make comparisons to the mens game and they are flogging a dead horse.
I've had a bit of involvement with the womens/girls game as my youngest daughter happened to be very good. Good enough to play to a very high standard before she found a world of boys and going out. I got involved with the coaching and it certainly brings different issues than the boys/mens game. But the standard is improving off the chart right from that level to the very top. The interest with girls is ever growing. When my daughter started, she is 19 now, she had to play with the lads and more than held her own. She was one of a handful at school who wanted to play. Now the numbers are increasing.
At the top of the game the cream is definitely rising. I've watched a few City games since they started and you can see the improvement, from the training drills and warm ups right to the games. Our club is at the forefront of this which is obviously something to be proud of.
The womens game is at least 100 years behind the mens, probably more after the 50 year ban. But the game will grow and the girls will, and should, get the opportunity to make decent livings out of the game in the near future. If the game isn't for you that's fine, but please don't criticise the commitment or quality. There are a few things the mens game could learn from the womens game.

Not sure I agree with the 100 years behind. When I watch City Women I am reminded more of City 20 to 30 years ago. And certainly more entertaining than under Pearce. The detractors fall into 2 camps. Those that have a peculiar resentment to women playing a traditional men's game and those who watch and compare it with the the top level of men's football. They should just accept it as a sport and enjoy what is good about it. I still maintain that until recently Lucy Bronze was the best FB at the club.

Have noticed that Channel Four's coverage is definitely an improvement on the BBC's. Jonathan Pearce really struggles to commentate on the women's game without coming out with some ridiculously trivial comments. Remember watching the Chelsea Arsenal FA Cup final last year and him saying something about Clare Rafferty struggling with black moods in her life!

I think it'd be great for the women's game if someone like Channel 4 got the full WSL rights and broadcast a game each week. Think it could give it a real lift in the same way loads of people were into Italian football when I was younger thanks to their coverage.

To be fair to Jonathan Pearce, he's been commentating on Women's football for years and is a big fan of the game.

I don't mind his comments as they are obviously meant to be light-hearted rather than sexist.

Channel 4's coverage has been pretty good though.

The Scottish bloke who manages Glasgow City is a very good pundit.

To be fair to Jonathan Pearce, he's been commentating on Women's football for years and is a big fan of the game.

I don't mind his comments as they are obviously meant to be light-hearted rather than sexist.

Channel 4's coverage has been pretty good though.

The Scottish bloke who manages Glasgow City is a very good pundit.

Yeah I know he's pretty clued up on it, it's just sometimes I feel he says the wrong thing. That said, it quite likely he's been issued with a directive from above to drop in "fun facts" about the players and is just reading from a sheet.

It always disappoints me that the stock answer/comment on womens football is the standard is rubbish. What a load of pony.

I agree, especially when people criticise things like the goalkeeping as if the odd howler is somehow representative of the standard in general.

It might have been the case a few years ago but not any more.

The general standard has improved dramatically over the last few years.

I agree, especially when people criticise things like the goalkeeping as if the odd howler is somehow representative of the standard in general.

It might have been the case a few years ago but not any more.

The general standard has improved dramatically over the last few years.

Also, I think a lot of the people citing the quality as being their main beef aren't being totally honest. If somebody started a thread asking if anyone watches any lower league football, you don't get people going out of their way to post in those threads about how it's an absolute waste of time and how the standard isn't as high. We know the standard isn't as high, people still enjoy it though and want to support it/talk about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.