Women's Team Thread 2023/2024

Lauren hemp supposedly off to barca in the summer, Chloe Kelly also heavily linked with psg. You can't blame the women for moving for the money, they don't earn enough to never have to be concerned with money after they retire so of course they should take the offer that pays them best.

however, the constant moving on of your better players I think has a negative impact on the popularity of the game and should look to be addressed, city especially seem to be quite bad at keeping their better players.

Lauren hemp supposedly off to barca in the summer, Chloe Kelly also heavily linked with psg. You can't blame the women for moving for the money, they don't earn enough to never have to be concerned with money after they retire so of course they should take the offer that pays them best.

however, the constant moving on of your better players I think has a negative impact on the popularity of the game and should look to be addressed, city especially seem to be quite bad at keeping their better players.

Hemp will be a much bigger loss IMO but losing both in the same summer will be huge.

We'd get a fee for Kelly which may soften the blow slightly.

I'll get on to my source and see if she'll tell me anything.

But isn`t the Womens League governed by financial wage capping over here in England, hence the mass departure of players moving overseas ?

Hemp will be a much bigger loss IMO but losing both in the same summer will be huge.

We'd get a fee for Kelly which may soften the blow slightly.

I'll get on to my source and see if she'll tell me anything.
If we can sign a player like Roord, surely we can keep Hemp and Kelly. Looking likely Hemp is going, which is a very bad look if we want to succeed domestically and in Europe.

Spot on this. How many top talents have walked out of the door for free in the past 2 years - Weir, Stanway, Bronze - and now Hemp and Roebuck will also go without a penny being received. It's rather poor contract management. They'll have to sell Kelly this summer otherwise she'll walk for nothing in Summer 2025.

Agree on the constant loss of the bigger players affecting things - City haven't won the league for a good while and with the resources available that needs to change.

I can agree with you in Hemp's case. However, Chloe is earning a LOT of money. Granted, much of it is off the pitch money due to her Euros performance. However, it all spends the same.

The article says she earned about 930k GBP last year. I've seen figures putting it at about a million, in the past. Either way, it's very good money. I'd contend her earning ability is greater in England for sponsorships/endorsements, etc than elsewhere.

If she wants to play in Paris because she wants a different challenge that's another story. Alex Greenwood played overseas for a year and it didn't seem to harm her game any.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Alex-Morgan-Womens-World-Cup-Highes-Paid.html

Worst of it is, she’s yet another one who'll be leaving for free as she’s out of contract. Seems like a very poor business model City are employing, where the Ladies are concerned.

It's all part and parcel of the women's game in England overall. Can't compete with the bigger European clubs because of the lower wages enforced by the salary cap leading to shorter contracts and top players being poached. I do think there is some leeway with how the cap is applied and teams like Chelsea and Arsenal seem to do things a little differently so don't have the same problem of players moving on.

How many top talents have walked out of the door for free in the past 2 years - Weir, Stanway, Bronze - and now Hemp and Roebuck will also go without a penny being received.
Of those we've lost, we've ended up with a better balance.

Weir - as good as she was (and she was), I don't think we've missed her that much, perhaps her spectacular finishes.
Stanway - again not sure she's been missed as much as we thought, she was all about herself for me.
Bronze - went at her best, came back a shadow of her first time here, not missed her.
Walsh - I'd sooner have kept, but Hasegawa has more than made up for her.
Roebuck (when she goes) - can't get a game now, Keating is much better.

If Hemp goes, it'll be disappointing, but Park is good enough, I'd sooner lose Kelly personally.

We'll keep renewing, and nobody gets much money for players in WSL, so not worried about that aspect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.