Women's Team Thread 2023/2024

We look certain to lose Hemp and Kelly (contract runs out in 2025).
Can't afford to lose her and Hemp for nothing.

Jess Park did well at blue scouse and has looked good filling in for Roord.
Don't know anything about Laura Blindkilde Brown who we signed from Villa for big money but I presumed that was definitely done with the future departures in mind.

I think if Kelly doesn't extend then they might sell her this summer of it's true PSG are offering good money. We can at least use that to replace her. Kelly's been great this season but she's more replaceable than hemp. Im not sure how much truth is behind that PSG rumour though because they also state they want to make her the best paid player in Europe and that makes zero sense to me. She's great but I would t even make her the best paid player in City's squad, let alone Europe.

Fixtures for the top 3 for the rest of WSL season

ArsenalChelseaCity
2/3/24Spurs (h)Everton (h)
3/3/24Leicester (a)
15/3/24Chelsea (a)Arsenal (h)
17/3/24Brighton (a)
23/3/24United (h)
24/3/24Aston Villa (a)West Ham (a)
30/3/24Spurs (a)
31/3/24Bristol City (h)Liverpool (a)
21/4/24Leicester (h)Aston Villa (h)West Ham (h)
28/4/24Everton (a)Liverpool (a)Bristol City (a)
3/5/24City (a)Bristol City (h)Arsenal (h)
10/5/24Brighton (h)United (a)Aston Villa (a)

Fixtures for the top 3 for the rest of WSL season

ArsenalChelseaCity
2/3/24Spurs (h)Everton (h)
3/3/24Leicester (a)
15/3/24Chelsea (a)Arsenal (h)
17/3/24Brighton (a)
23/3/24United (h)
24/3/24Aston Villa (a)West Ham (a)
30/3/24Spurs (a)
31/3/24Bristol City (h)Liverpool (a)
21/4/24Leicester (h)Aston Villa (h)West Ham (h)
28/4/24Everton (a)Liverpool (a)Bristol City (a)
3/5/24City (a)Bristol City (h)Arsenal (h)
10/5/24Brighton (h)United (a)Aston Villa (a)
Thanks for this, I have sent it on to a couple of people.

I think if Kelly doesn't extend then they might sell her this summer of it's true PSG are offering good money. We can at least use that to replace her. Kelly's been great this season but she's more replaceable than hemp. Im not sure how much truth is behind that PSG rumour though because they also state they want to make her the best paid player in Europe and that makes zero sense to me. She's great but I would t even make her the best paid player in City's squad, let alone Europe.
I understand what you are saying. That said, if PSG want a very good player (which she is) they will also get name recognition bringing her in to their team. After her Euros, casual fans of the women's game know Chloe Kelly. This may be the reason why. It will put arses in the seats maybe?

And as I've said previously in this thread, Chloe makes many more £ than the average female footballer in England makes. Her playing contract may be in line with other players of her ability however, the money she makes in endorsements and sponsorships vastly exceeds other women in England.

She makes close to £1 million a year with her contract and endorsements and sponsorships combined. I dare say that is probably 2 or 3x more than any other woman at City earns. She won't likely get those endorsement deals in France. They may feel they have to give her a large salary to get her to sign.

I'll say it again, Chloe should stay in England if it is about money. If she wants a new challenge then playing on the continent would be a new challenge. Otherwise, her Lionesses heroics will keep her earning more in England.

Fully agreed on Hemp vs Kelly. Tbh I thought Hemp’s contract was up this summer not next, so thanks for the correction.

On another note, just bought a couple of tickets for League Cup semi final vs Chelsea, Thurs 7 March. Not sure how long they’ve been on sale - still plenty left but I do hope we get most of them sold.

Fully agreed on Hemp vs Kelly. Tbh I thought Hemp’s contract was up this summer not next, so thanks for the correction.

On another note, just bought a couple of tickets for League Cup semi final vs Chelsea, Thurs 7 March. Not sure how long they’ve been on sale - still plenty left but I do hope we get most of them sold.

No you're right. Apologies if I explained badly. Hemp is up this Summer and Kelly next Summer.

I understand what you are saying. That said, if PSG want a very good player (which she is) they will also get name recognition bringing her in to their team. After her Euros, casual fans of the women's game know Chloe Kelly. This may be the reason why. It will put arses in the seats maybe?

And as I've said previously in this thread, Chloe makes many more £ than the average female footballer in England makes. Her playing contract may be in line with other players of her ability however, the money she makes in endorsements and sponsorships vastly exceeds other women in England.

She makes close to £1 million a year with her contract and endorsements and sponsorships combined. I dare say that is probably 2 or 3x more than any other woman at City earns. She won't likely get those endorsement deals in France. They may feel they have to give her a large salary to get her to sign.

I'll say it again, Chloe should stay in England if it is about money. If she wants a new challenge then playing on the continent would be a new challenge. Otherwise, her Lionesses heroics will keep her earning more in England.

Yeah I just think it would be a strange decision for PSG to throw such a big salary at her when she wouldn't be the best or most recognisable player in their squad. She doesn't even always start for England. I really like her and I think she's also a great character too and would be sorely missed by us, but if she wants to test herself elsewhere then so be it.

FWIW, I think City seem to have struggled to leverage the popularity of some of the lionesses in their squad since the euros and convert that into bums on seats. Greenwood, Hemp and Kelly are all hugely popular with fans of women's football and i'm surprised our attendances aren't better. I've no doubt it will improve and the club are clearly looking to run the women's team a bit better now, but i think we were a bit slow in capitalising on a huge moment.

I'd like to think that it's just down to both girls being desperate to play at the highest level - in the Champions League.

If so, I'd be hopeful that both would sign extensions later on in the season, because we're almost a certainty now.

Tricky though given our record of going out in the qualifying stages! That said, I think if we could make assurances that we're genuinely building something and that one or two more of Roord's quality will be joining them, then maybe they'll be convinced to stay.

Hemp's partner plays for Sheffield United too so maybe that's an extra reason to stick around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.