Write off car. Should I pay the finance off first?

talkativesprout

This morning some dozy woman has driven down my 10 year old Citroen Grand Picasso with 120,000 miles on the clock. Her insurance company have said its a write off (cosmetic damage only). I owe £500 still on the finance. I dont know the book price so i cant work out what my best option is. I paid through the nose on the car loan because of circumstances at the time basically paying nearly twice the asking price.

should I pay the £500 off then negotiate with her insurer (who have admitted 0 liability on my behalf) or let them pay the loan company whats left on the agreement and see whats left? I doubt it will be enough to buy another motor?

My first time dealing with something like this so apologies for being a noob at 53 yrs old

This morning some dozy woman has driven down my 10 year old Citroen Grand Picasso with 120,000 miles on the clock. Her insurance company have said its a write off (cosmetic damage only). I owe £500 still on the finance. I dont know the book price so i cant work out what my best option is. I paid through the nose on the car loan because of circumstances at the time basically paying nearly twice the asking price.

should I pay the £500 off then negotiate with her insurer (who have admitted 0 liability on my behalf) or let them pay the loan company whats left on the agreement and see whats left? I doubt it will be enough to buy another motor?

My first time dealing with something like this so apologies for being a noob at 53 yrs old
If the car is still drivable you can buy the car back for about £500 which they take off the sum you receive for it.

If it’s only cosmetic damage, not dangerous bodywork or what have you, then you might want to consider negotiating with her insurers to keep it.
I did similar many years ago, I had a motor that was side swiped, it was deemed to be an insurance write off as the cost of the cosmetic repair was more than the car was valued at, they offered me what was middling book price back in the day, I argued it was worth more but told them I’d take a couple of hundred less if I got to keep it.
I had a couple of mates who had body shops at the time and I had a notion that I’d get it fixed up but I never got round to it, just drove it for the next 3 years with an end to end gouge down the drivers side and a rear passenger door that was crimped shut.

If it’s only cosmetic damage, not dangerous bodywork or what have you, then you might want to consider negotiating with her insurers to keep it.
I did similar many years ago, I had a motor that was side swiped, it was deemed to be an insurance write off as the cost of the cosmetic repair was more than the car was valued at, they offered me what was middling book price back in the day, I argued it was worth more but told them I’d take a couple of hundred less if I got to keep it.
I had a couple of mates who had body shops at the time and I had a notion that I’d get it fixed up but I never got round to it, just drove it for the next 3 years with an end to end gouge down the drivers side and a rear passenger door that was crimped shut.
You need to post that in the tight arse thread (or whatever its actually called)

My sister did the same when someone clobbered her Mazda
She drove it for a further couple of years and then sold it and three years later we still see it in our town

Where might one find this book price?

A google search just brings me loads of we buy any car and spam your inbox till it hurts clones

Many thanks to the others above for your contributions

LV (her insurance) want me to take a full set of sales pics (i assume) of the Front, sides, rear, inside and dashboard/ mileage is this normal? smells funny to me

Last edited:
Id probably do the same. I do not give a monkey's about cars. Much less about how they lool, how fast they go, chipped (?) whatever the fuck that is, wrapped, fancy paint, tinted windows, and above all a vanity number plate. Huge indicators of very insecure people

A google search just brings me loads of we buy any car and spam your inbox till it hurts clones

LV (her insurance) want me to take a full set of sales pics (i assume) of the Front, sides, rear, inside and dashboard/ mileage is this normal? smells funny to me

Pics will be to determine pre accident condition.

It used to be something that iirc was called ‘glass’s guide’ back in the day.
I knew a few lads in the motor trade and it was something that they used.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.