WSL- Liverpool (H) 21st January KO 14:30

That's what i thought! I bemoaned the ball trickling past the post, Lauren flat on the floor, and then I saw the City players lining up on the edge of the box and then Chloe with the ball in her hand. Difficult to see when the ref pointed to the spot, if she actually did, rather than a mumbled remark to the Dippers "Sorry, ladies, but it's a pen!' But if you give a yellow card for a foul inside the area then it has to be a penalty, unless the goalie just whipped off her shirt before Lauren poked the ball.

Certainly the longest time I've witnessed between a tackle and realising it was a penalty.
Ironic. Was not a pen so it should have been a free kick just outside the box plus a red card for the keeper.

Ironic. Was not a pen so it should have been a free kick just outside the box plus a red card for the keeper.

That's true. However a lot of refs seem to forget that just because (they've decided) it happened in the box, it can still be a red card - if they decide the challenge was serious foul play, rather than focusing on the denial of goalscoring opportunity.

From the laws regarding red cards:

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

That challenge certainly qualified for a straight red.

That's true. However a lot of refs seem to forget that just because (they've decided) it happened in the box, it can still be a red card - if they decide the challenge was serious foul play, rather than focusing on the denial of goalscoring opportunity.

From the laws regarding red cards:

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

That challenge certainly qualified for a straight red.

Yep they were conflating the whole double jeopardy thing with endangering an opponent when discussing afterwards. The card decision and the penalty were both totally wrong. At that stage of the game it kind of benefitted us anyway as the penalty boosted our goal different and Liverpool play Arsenal without any suspensions.

When I saw the highights on the OS it was pretty clear the foul was about a foot outside the box. Mind, didn't we get a decision or two some time back that declared that where the tackled player landed was decisive? Or was it just punditry explanation of wanting a pen for their chosen side?

When I saw the highights on the OS it was pretty clear the foul was about a foot outside the box. Mind, didn't we get a decision or two some time back that declared that where the tackled player landed was decisive? Or was it just punditry explanation of wanting a pen for their chosen side?
Think that’s just false punditry. Rule is where the foul took place, I’m sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.