Xavi...

The Richard Wright Fan Club

Has there been a player who has changed planet football more in the last 50 years? the likes of Koke, Isco etc have been inspired by him and just 10 years ago a lot would have said "good player but too lightweight for the Premiership" now football's changed and that's for the better.

Discuss.

Plenty of players have inspired youngsters and I get your point, but think about the impact on the game Messi and Ronaldo have. You literally see youth players standing over the ball before a free kick, celebrating a goal just as Ronaldo does. Xavi is a legend but the impact these two are leaving is unfathomable. They're breaking records with incredible numbers that could possibly never be matched again. From a different planet.

Xavi is one of the best players I've ever seen at controlling the game, he was always in the right place, always dictating, and I'd have loved to have seen him in the Premier League.

He arguably created the pathway for the more diminutive technical central midfielder instead of the Vieira/ Keane type of midfielder.

Wonderful player.

Plenty of players have inspired youngsters and I get your point, but think about the impact on the game Messi and Ronaldo have. You literally see youth players standing over the ball before a free kick, celebrating a goal just as Ronaldo does. Xavi is a legend but the impact these two are leaving is unfathomable. They're breaking records with incredible numbers that could possibly never be matched again. From a different planet.

I do agree with this but I would love to see how those two would have got on before the offside rule changed and tackling from behind went out of the game.

Many go on about there being a lack of top quality central defenders but the modern game refereeing and overall rules go against them more so than any other play in my opinion.

Can you imagine Kompany and Mangala being able to tackle from behind on top of what they can do now? Or our back 4 only needing to catch any one of the opposition players in an offside position to get an offside call go for you?

I also think the post-Bosman era of football has made way for super teams to be created because before the Bosman rule came in you were only allowed three foreign players, now all the top teams can try and create their very own world XI of the best players from around the globe they can afford/ attract.

You could argue he is the greatest player ever.

Winner:
La Liga (8): 1998–99, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13,Copa del Rey (3): 2008-09, 2011-12, Supercopa de España (6): 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
UEFA Champions League (4): 2005-06, 2008-09, 2010-11, UEFA Super Cup (2): 2009, 2011
FIFA Club World Cup (2): 2009, 2011

Runner-up:
Copa del Rey (2): 2010–11, 2013–14
Supercopa de España: 1998, 1999, 2012
UEFA Super Cup: 2006
FIFA Club World Cup: 2006

Spain
Winner:
FIFA World Cup: 2010
UEFA European Football Championship (2): 2008, 2012
Summer Olympics Silver Medal: 2000
FIFA Confederations Cup Silver Medal: 2013
FIFA World Youth Championship: 1999

Ultimately, goals win you games and that is all kids want to do and get the limelight, so they naturally want to be those players. How many say they want to be Xavi or Iniesta? The unsung heroes who produce those gems of opportunity?

As your knowledge of footie evolves as you grow older, you realise that you need your Gareth Barrys to protect your back four and you need that pivot/creative genius in the middle to enhance your scoring opportunities.

David Silva being the prime example; we as City fans worship "el mago" and 'oooo' and 'awww' at his ability but when has he ever received true acknowledgement of his magical footballing talents?

Has it really taken Paul Merson over four years to realise this about Silva?

No need to reply...I know the answer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.