You can't be offside from.......

Another thing I've always been a bit unsure of...

When they say 'the whole ball needs to cross the line' what exactly does that mean? I've always interpreted that as there needs to be daylight between the edge of the ball and the plane of the line- Not just the part of the ball thats touching the ground.

Yet often the commentators say 'yes the whole ball has crossed the line there' when it clearly hasn't, just the part that's touching the ground, or the majority of the ball (but not ALL of it).

pinacolada said:

When they say 'the whole ball needs to cross the line' what exactly does that mean? I've always interpreted that as there needs to be daylight between the edge of the ball and the plane of the line- Not just the part of the ball thats touching the ground.

Yet often the commentators say 'yes the whole ball has crossed the line there' when it clearly hasn't, just the part that's touching the ground, or the majority of the ball (but not ALL of it).
Yep, there has to be daylight.

Surely this guy may be able to 'just' about make it

( I realise he is already 18 yeards or so out)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQldUm9ePmA&playnext=1&list=PLF7E609CE9498C642&index=97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQldUm9e ... 2&index=97</a>

pinacolada said:

The way you interpret it is right, literally the whole ball needs to cross the line.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I think that rule has been changed. When I used to tread the sod at Hough End and the like, yer could be offside from a goal kick. The string of exceptions, throw ins, corners played by an opponent, etc didn't include a goal kick.

The offside law didn't really come into play when I played Sunday League at Hough End and Fog Lane in the 60's and 70's. The League only appointed a ref for the game, he had to make all the decisions and was lucky if a couple of spectators or supporters, with hankies, volunteered to run the lines. Goal hangers were a valuable commodity.

goosed said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
I think that rule has been changed. When I used to tread the sod at Hough End and the like, yer could be offside from a goal kick. The string of exceptions, throw ins, corners played by an opponent, etc didn't include a goal kick.

The offside law didn't really come into play when I played Sunday League at Hough End and Fog Lane in the 60's and 70's. The League only appointed a ref for the game, he had to make all the decisions and was lucky if a couple of spectators or supporters, with hankies, volunteered to run the lines. Goal hangers were a valuable commodity.

Those were the days! Which is why I'm pretty decent at getting offsides right in the northern half of the pitch whilst I sit opposite the southern half goal area line! I'm great at angles!

Other rules.....

A goal may be scored directly from kick off

The game doesn't stop when the ball hits the ref or an assistant

If you hit a direct or indirect free kick into your own goal, the other team get a corner

Just thought you might all want to know ;)

Blood ell, I sit in 102 and I was moaning because I was sure you COULD be offside.

Can't believe I have watched and played the game for so long and not known that rule! Thanks for the education.

mad zab said:
SWP's back said:
No you haven't.

You are the only one coming across as an arrogant prick fella.

Don't tell me what I haven't seen idiot. Of course it's arrogant to admit your wrong!

Whatever. But you're wrong and lying to cover it up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.