Your standout City memory...

First game as an 11 year old at Maine road a derby match in the billy McNeil era, a day of firsts
- seeing the ground
- the smell of fried onions
- venom & exilleration of atmosphere in kippax with reds in the corner ( darts flying across!!)
- tommy Caton crashing a shot on the bar
- kippax banter / chants & all the swearing
- being slightly crushed at crowd surges & totally helpless at the end of the game as the crowd around carried you out as we were packed like sardines
- running battles in streets after & police on horses charging crowds!
- madness on many levels but I fell in love that day.

Best: Being taken to stand on freezing terraces by my dad, upgrading later to a season ticket in the Platt Lane end.

Watching Denis Tueart's overhead goal on tv then being in Albert Square (why my dad thought a small girl would enjoy being trampled by thousands of loons I have no idea, but he was right!)

Being at Villa Park for the semi in 1981

Stepping over the top of the Wembley steps into the ground in 1981 (thinking about it still makes the hair on my neck stand up)

Sitting on Trevor Francis' knee (oo er)

Any time we beat the Rags

When my genuine Maine Rd seat came home. And no you can't have it (unless you happen to have a few spare tickets for Sunday...)

Waking up in the middle of the night and smiling at the drunk blues singing we're not really here in the road...

Worst:

Tommy Hutchinson's own goal.

The second division.

Years of playground and workplace misery, black humour, pessimism, enduring endless harassment and aggro in a very big world full of smiling dickheads going, all the while them grinning hopefully, 'Oh you from Manchester? Manchester United, yes?!'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

going to Tesco at the semi final last year to find they ran out of beer.
never thought i would see the day.

too many to list most have already been said..

Five for me

Edin Dzeko's 6th Goal at the swamp running towards City fans with 6 fingers showing.

Final Games of Season at Maine Road when we got promotion against Charlton, claimed over the barriers into seggreated part of the old wooden benched Platt Lane then on the Pitch afterwards.

Andy Hinchcliffe's 5th gola in the 5 - 1 at Maine Road

Final Games of season at Bradford away to win Promotion. In Bradford End and was trying to keep quites when City scored the whole end erupted, City had taken over,

Final game of season at Blackburn away to get promotion

One of the standout memories for me was City v Academic de Coimbra in the Cup Winners Cup. Nil nil after two legs and Tony Towers came on and scored the winner in extra time. It was late finishing, even with a 7.30 kick off and we bought chips on Yew Tree Road. I was that excited I threw up all night.
The home tie against Schalke in the semi-final is probably my favourite City match.

Niall Quinn saving Dean Saunders' penalty

The guy waving the chicken in the Platt Lane stand

Vince Miller in his white suit

Elvis the plastic hawk on a string

Mr Banks in the Kippax

Kappa - the best kits worn by the worst players

HALF TIME DRAW TICKETS!

Steve Lomas in the corner

The pitch invasions

The Thai themed bash in Albert Square with Frank and Sven

All the false dawns

Transfer deadline day 2008

Wembley 99

Wembley 11

24th October 1998, playing Reading at home.
Tiatto gets sent off. We lose all our confidence. They go one up. Jim Whitley shins a ball into the Kippax
My stand out memory..... When Whitley shinned the ball, the numbers of matchday programmes, cups of tea and Bovril that were launched in his direction and the terrified look on his face

Fucking hell, we were utterly shit

My first game against Shrewsbury.
Sat in my room listening to the radio with my Dad when Morley equalised at Bradford (my Mam thought we were fighting).
Looking at the Maine Stand when Hinchcliffe scored in the 5-1 'cos I was too short to see the pitch.
Beating Liverpool 2-1 in the 1st home game of the season in '91.
Devastated after Forest knocked us out of the League Cup at Maine Road. I considered knocking it all on the head.
The horses on the pitch against Spurs.
The K Stand sucking in United's 5th to my right.
The despair of going down against Liverpool.
Bury at home when I was in the away section.
Taking my socks off in frustration when Pollock scored his own goal and lobbing them under the Gene Kelly stand.
The pitch invasion after Wigan.
Dickov's equaliser - pandemonium.
The pitch invasion after Birmingham at home.
Blackburn away and all that it meant.
Gutted to go down again.
Benarbia at Hillsborough, one of my favourite ever aways.
Seeing Anelka in a City shirt and thinking "we're not going back down".
The end of the 13 year wait for a Derby win.
Fowler's penalty miss and thinking "Typical City" were never going away.
Sven's team's early promise.
Waking up after nodding after work on September 1st 2008 and watching the frankly ludicrous breaking news headlines running across the screen.
Believing we'd never turn United over after the League Cup semi final.
The FA Cup semi final - being with my Dad and Son at Wembley. It felt like a dream.
Ending the wait for a trophy and not being able to walk by the end of the night.
Grinning like a cheshire cat the day after the 6-1. Lads in work completely avoiding me.
Coming up with an unlikely scenario after April 1st, being laughed at, then watching it all unfold as I'd predicted (I thought they'd drop points to Swansea not Everton but predicted the 1-0 at Wigan).
This feeling of anxiety I've felt all week.........

looking up at the steps to the turnstiles at Wembley in 74, aged 9.
Dennis's overhead
Juventus in UEFA cup 76/77
Any home games v rags or red dippers mid to late 70's, over 50,000
10-1
5-1

But Lakey swallowing his tongue will be the main one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.