Monaco - Post Match thread.

Mate, defenders/goalkeepers make mistakes, that's football.

It becomes more pronounced, however, when we have supposedly one of the best attacking forward lines in football failing to do the basics, never mind accept all the chances we have tossed off this season.

I'll say it again. It's our so-called "big-name" players who have cost us these last couple of seasons.

It's why the team looked so vibrant when Jesus was playing, because the team looked so much more cohesive and he needs less chances to score.

I'd put KDB in this bracket as would most others, yet i can see what Mourinho meant when he said he's not top level too. He's mentally very weak and it shows when things are going against him, seems to lose all belief in his ability. Great talent but he needs to toughen up in this aspect.
When you add that to an Aguero who reverted back to earlier season form, a Fernandinho who has been woeful for the last few weeks and an off the boil Silva is it any wonder we struggled?
I agree on Sane who at least keeps going, Sterling looks lost without Zabba behind him though.

De Bruyne is being asked to work harder this season but I don't think he has the required fitness levels. He looks overweight.

I genuinely wonder how much of an impact having a baby has had.

I was one of those parents who had a child who did not sleep, and I know the look on Kev's face lately. I don't think it's a fitness thing, it's exhaustion.

Absolutely nothing to blame the defence for, they all had their redeeming qualities last night.

Stones was a real leader in the second half, making crucial interceptions and breaking forward with the ball on numerous occasions.

Kolarov never stopped trying to get us going and both Clichy and Sagna showed the required levels of aggression.

It was the paucity of the front six that lost us that game last night, nothing more.

A first half in which they failed to break a sweat, failed to defend from the front and provided Monaco's own quality in the wide areas, exposing us for the first two goals.

It's been a bullshit narrative all season, that the defenders are the problem.

De Bruyne's form has been shocking for months and Pep made a stupid mistake of preferring that midfield set-up without the ball control of Yaya.

Aguero cost us. Sterling cost us. Silva cost us.

Kudos to Sane, who at least refuses to hide.
That is to a word how I saw it. One of the two main problems was the transition from defence to attack. That is where we missed Yaya ball retention and passing so much. The other far bigger was the midfield three of Silva, Kev and Fern. I have never seen them play so collectively badly. Kev in particular needs a stay on the bench until he can sort out his head (and his feet).

He was brilliant. Reminded me very much of Pique the way he backed himself to break out from the back.

Your criticism of Kev is misplaced. He is on a poor run of form but he's still absolutely central to our future plans. Took Muller/Lewandowski a year to adapt to Pep. Kev will Ben fine long term.

Says a lot he didn't get subbed last night. Instead adjusting his position changed the game.

He was brilliant. Reminded me very much of Pique the way he backed himself to break out from the back.

I know he suddenly knows how i feel at times looking at our fullbacks, in the first half he was pointing at Sagne and telling him to be somewhere and he muttered "fuck me", i do that as soon as they're in the line up!!

Your criticism of Kev is misplaced. He is on a poor run of form but he's still absolutely central to our future plans. Took Muller/Lewandowski a year to adapt to Pep. Kev will Ben fine long term.

Says a lot he didn't get subbed last night. Instead adjusting his position changed the game.

It was the wrong adjustment though. All season long it's been Silva dropping deep into the Modric role when needed, but last night Pep left him high up the field and dropped Kev. Nowhere near as effective.

To a degree I understand what you are trying to say, but there's no way Clichy or Sagna come out of last night with any sort of praise, especially Clichy. He lost EVERY single headed ball last night. They picked on him for the entire first half.

I do agree though, that the attack didn't help. Had De Bruyne actually given a damn, those balls aren't getting over to Gael to begin with. But he was still utterly awful.

Sane and Stones stood up to be counted for 90 mins, and eventually Sterling joined in. But yeah, some blame Txixi today.

Clichy did lose every aerial ball, as he ALWAYS does.

My argument is that the players in front should be closing the lines and denying that supply line in the first instance.

I think Clichy has been terrible for a while but he never stopped trying to charge forward.

The entire defence attempted to drive into the chasm which was our empty midfield.

MBappe? Bernardo Silva?

To the victor, the spoils.

They were largely anonymous on the night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.