Joey Barton

My favourite part of this is how robust the FA's anti-gambling unit clearly is. He only managed to get away with having a betting account in his own name and place thousands of bets across about a decade before they managed to catch this master criminal. It's pretty reassuring that they are clearly going to catch anyone doing anything suspect

The scapegoating is because he was a member of the teams he bet on, regardless if he was suspended/injured.... as someone who' has flirted with betting addiction I have no sympathy, I'd also point towards that in his statement he states that this is his 'only account' has been 'verified' etc etc. Firstly, most 'addicts' have more than one and I would be amazed if he hasn't been pulled on it, secondly, the epos systems employed by bookies contain stored information that legally has to be kept for 75 years, I'd again say it's highly likely that betting patterns have been compared and contrasted, they'll know without concrete proof but enough to say 'fuck you'...

But the fact he has had an account since 2006 ? And it comes out 10 years later,mmmmmmmmmmmmm ok

My favourite part of this is how robust the FA's anti-gambling unit clearly is. He only managed to get away with having a betting account in his own name and place thousands of bets across about a decade before they managed to catch this master criminal. It's pretty reassuring that they are clearly going to catch anyone doing anything suspect
Yes I think we can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing the football authorities will jump on wrongdoing instantly.

*Putting tin foil hat on*

Tax raids on clubs and Barton suspended at same time day. Is there another story the FA are distracting us from?

The other issue is, as Barton alludes to, is that gambling is a huge part of the culture at football clubs. There have been quite a few stories of players getting into financial problems because of it. Didi Hamann, Michael Chopra, Matty Etherington, Keith Gillespie, Dominic Matteo, Eidur Gudjohnsen are all names in the public domain and I know for certain of three others who haven't been named, two of whom are still playing at a high level. What's happening about them?

No that's not true, he's literally bet on himself to be first goalscorer, so he clearly was part of the squad or thought he was going to be.

I think he's claiming he wasn't in the squad for the games he bet on his team to lose.

He's seems to think it's ok to gamble on the games he's involved with providing he isn't backing them to lose. He's dumber than i thought if he can't see how problematic backing yourself as first scorer is. Supposing his team gets a penalty or free kick and he argues he ought to take it? What if he see's a team mate in a nailed on scoring position but shoots instead of passing? There are so many ways he's liable to damage the integrity of the result with a bet like that. Same with bettingh on correct scores. Just cos he's back ed his team to win, it's irrelevant when part of his bet relies on the opposition getting a goal. Leagues are won and team relegated based on goal difference and he should never be in a position where he benefits from his own team letting a goal in.

He's wrong to say there's nothing untoward about any of the bets he made as some of them raise huge problems. He's correct that neither the gambling industry or the football authorities come out of this looking good but his actions are nowhere near as innocuous as he makes out.

The other issue is, as Barton alludes to, is that gambling is a huge part of the culture at football clubs. There have been quite a few stories of players getting into financial problems because of it. Didi Hamann, Michael Chopra, Matty Etherington, Keith Gillespie, Dominic Matteo, Eidur Gudjohnsen are all names in the public domain and I know for certain of three others who haven't been named, two of whom are still playing at a high level. What's happening about them?
Is one of them out on loan ?

I think Barton has a point, about football being surrounded by betting, even to the point of shirt sponsorship for the club he currently plays for, yet he gets this draconian ban, for something he'd been doing under his own name for a decade, and with an obvious addiction.

As is usual, the FA couldn't be more confusing in its signals here imho.

Talk sport are trying their best to distance the role that Bookmakers have played in the whole whole matter which is of little surprise seeing as the whole station is fed and funded by various betting company's, its been said on here that the presence of Sky Bet offering odds on live games they show is very disquieting, regarding Barton the guys a knob who is probably the getting the comeuppance he deserved for past misdemeanours. His statement which has probably been weeks in the writing is a little bit scatter gun (nothing new there)

The full written reasons from the FA for the severity of the ban will be very interesting reading.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.