Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

Why do you want to hear what he says. Empty words

I won't to hear him being honest. Not only about this season, the people running the club, the players, but also about himself.

I want him admit there is a disconnect atm between the club and the fans.

Wait a minute. He's not going to say that is he. It will be the usual guff about the CFG, being disappointed with this season(worded carefully), and how the club will improve next season. "CUT!" "Filming has ended."

Decades

It's not just a question of rocking up with a chequebook, getting short term results and expecting everyone to admire, respect.

For a while they'll resent.
Very true
Even if we win the CL most people will liken it to Blackburn winning the title

Nobody will ever dominate the PL, and right there is your problem. For that reason, no English team will ever rival Real, Barca, or Bayern, who have it relatively easy at home, which makes europe easier for them, they also have a sympathetic FA, who want them to dominate in europe, so their domestic fixtures are made easier, nobody gets that in England sadly.
I agree with that. But that's what makes our poor buy more damaging. Other clubs have now emerged and it's more difficult to get back to the top. We are going to have to rebuild the squad in a period when we have a lot more rivals.

The Premier league does not have any one or two outstanding sides, but it is remarkably competitive although come the end of the season I am seeing some absolutely pathetic performances from some teams like West Ham and Palace. I guess that happens in every league.

On the positive side I think Guardiola or Txiki bought very well last Summer, and we have now a small group of outstanding young players who could form the nucleus of another title winning squad: Sterling, Stones, Jesus, Sane.

Even allowing for FFP, we should have been able to renew Mancini's team. We spent huge amount of money on poor players. We'd ave been better off not spending at all on poor players and waiting to go all in on top players.

I don't understand why some fans are still harping on about Mancini. He did a fantastic job at organising and building the squad but lost the dressing room. He had to go.

Of these teams, who would you have swapped places with over the last 5 years? Rags/Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs/Liverpool.

The answer is most likely none, as we've performed consistently (CL places) and the others are yo-yo-ing all over the shop. Of all the above Spurs would be the one I most envy as their core of youngsters, training ground, location and stadium might potentially make them a force again. But would Levy ever break the transfer record even if it meant an elite player? Probably not.

Rags and Chelsea will rival us for big name targets as they have done historically. The irony of Arsene finally being given the fabled war-chest is ironic as he won't be in the CL. Almost like it's planned.

For us, it comes down to bad signings and too high wages.. which unbalances our outgoings. For example. Bony doesn't quite make it, but if his wages are average.. plenty of takers. However high wages, and it's a loan until he's in final year of contract etc.

Everything else I'm happy with in the way the team is run

poor buying has to be at the top of the list. hindsight is a wonderful thing though and sometimes some players just don't work out? we need to go big and world class this summer and am sure pep will demand nothing less.

Poor buying ? How about poor 'non buying' ?

Javi Martinez,Eden Hazzard,Van Piss Pot,Alexi Sanchez,Daniel de Rossi.

If petty jealously & small minded politics hadn't been used agin Bobby,the balance of the dressing room would've changed & I think we'd have powered on.

As it is we've stood still,others have progressed,TV to money has balanced out for other clubs and in reality we've gone backwards since 93-20 !!

A huge god sent opportunity missed !!

Nobody will ever dominate the PL, and right there is your problem. For that reason, no English team will ever rival Real, Barca, or Bayern, who have it relatively easy at home, which makes europe easier for them, they also have a sympathetic FA, who want them to dominate in europe, so their domestic fixtures are made easier, nobody gets that in England sadly.
Nobody will dominate the PL????..... Our twatty neighbours seemed to do quite a good job of it for 15-20yrs! Or is what they did not dominating enough for you?

I won't to hear him being honest. Not only about this season, the people running the club, the players, but also about himself.

I want him admit there is a disconnect atm between the club and the fans.

Wait a minute. He's not going to say that is he. It will be the usual guff about the CFG, being disappointed with this season(worded carefully), and how the club will improve next season. "CUT!" "Filming has ended."
The disconnect between fans and board always used to be there. Fans had a different agenda to the boardroom. Then for 5 years or so after the takeover City fans entered wonderland and money took us there, therefore the money men could not be criticised. However after building Mancini's team with such ease, City have found it a lot harder to do what should be an easier job in maintaining that squad. Once you're on top in football, (Utd and Liverpool) you should be able to stay there because there are so many advantages of being top dog in a football world where money gets money and all the top players want to play for the best club. However we messed it up. We bought very poorly window after window, spending hundreds of millions on poor players. Clubs like Spurs, and Chelsea have moved ahead of City and now we're part of a group of 6 or 8 clubs. Mancini's team is now in it's 30's and Guardiola is going to have to replace almost every single element with the exception of maybe Silva, Kompany and Aguero. At least last Summer we added some quality young players. That is hopeful.

Off the pitch we see the club's face turned to the corporate world. All the initiatives at the club seem to be directed towards fans with money. The platinum club where ticketing was focused on rewarding money rather than loyalty is a disgraceful idea. And then we have one block after another being turned into corporate stands. It wouldn't bother me if I saw that the club is still intent on ground expansion as I would know then that the club's ambitions remain and that they include ordinary supporters. But it's total silence in that regard so I can only assume that those plans have been mothballed. Garry Cook was accused of being too brash, but we've gone too for the other way. The club does not communicate with its supporters. Instead we have focus groups where we are defined by spending habits.

The appointment of Guardiola should be encouraging as he was regarded as the world's best coach. And in the Summer we bought two of the best young players in world football. How exciting is it to watch Leroy Sane? He if he keeps his feet on the floor then he is another Ronaldo in the making and that is not an exaggeration. he is the most exciting young player I have seen at City. And then we have Gabriel Jesus. The problem is that we have to rebuild almost the entire team now. I think by the time Guardiola is done, there will only be Kompany, Silva and Aguero left from the old team. I don't mind that. I want us to get on with it and rebuild. If I was Sheikh Mansour though, I'd make sure my executives turned their focus towards the supporters. It's OK when you're winning everything. Fans are happy. When you're not you have to work a little bit harder and make it clear what you're doing

I don't expect any one club to truly dominate the PL in the near future. The wealth and the top calibre managers aren't concentrated in one place. Winning the title every two or three years would be a great achievement for us. In truth, we haven't established ourselves as a force in Europe and this was one key reason for bringing in Pep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.