cv help

Lemon7277

Evening everyone...me and the mrs are both looking for a new jobs but both require a cv...thing is we have both never had one and we aint got a clue where to start..we have both only had 4 jobs each since leaving school and we are both in our early 40's now...i believe they should be kept to a couple of pages these days but not to sure ...if there is anyone on here that could help us out in compiling one it would be hugely appreciated..if anyone can could you drop us pm...thanks in advance for any replies or pm's

1.png

Evening everyone...me and the mrs are both looking for a new jobs but both require a cv...thing is we have both never had one and we aint got a clue where to start..we have both only had 4 jobs each since leaving school and we are both in our early 40's now...i believe they should be kept to a couple of pages these days but not to sure ...if there is anyone on here that could help us out in compiling one it would be hugely appreciated..if anyone can could you drop us pm...thanks in advance for any replies or pm's
If I get a load of CVs sent in for a job I've advertised, I immediately throw half the pile in the bin. Don't want unlucky people working for me.

But seriously ...
One side of one A4 page.
Name and contact details at the top.
Work history (start with most recent and work back), brief list under each job of what you did, emphasise anything that saved money or shows initiative.
Education and qualifications (again most recent first), if you list the 11-plus, you've gone too far.
References (optional) - just put "available on request" if you want
Hobbies - some say put it in, some say don't. Personally I don't give two hoots what people do in their spare time unless it directly related to the job.

Keep it neat. Use a font size that can be easily read and keep it all the same plain font (Arial or Times Roman).

First of all, every time i read my CV after a couple of years or so i think it's shit and change it, so potentially ignore this.

But one side of A4 and i try and do something a little bit quirky with the formatting, nothing major or daft, but just to make it look a bit different to the rest of the pile.

Make sure everything is as relevant to the job you're aiming for as possible, no needless information. Don't repeat things, make it clear and easy to read, not cluttered.

Try and make the best/most relevant parts stand out. Whoever is reading it, is probably reading a lot of them and won't spend a lot of time on it.

If they want more in-depth information - interview.

Someone else will probably disagree with what i've said, which is part of the point, not everyone is impressed with the same thing.

Triple check your grammar and spelling. And your phone number.

Action verbs: Created, improved, produced, etc..
Emphasize any supervisory or leadership roles
Professional qualifications, such as Excel, photoshop, SAP, etc...

When you're done, read it with the question "Why me and not the other person?" in your head. If you think it answers that question, you're done.

As someone else said, spelling and grammatical errors usually mean instant binability!!

If I get a load of CVs sent in for a job I've advertised, I immediately throw half the pile in the bin. Don't want unlucky people working for me.

But seriously ...
One side of one A4 page.
Name and contact details at the top.
Work history (start with most recent and work back), brief list under each job of what you did, emphasise anything that saved money or shows initiative.
Education and qualifications (again most recent first), if you list the 11-plus, you've gone too far.
References (optional) - just put "available on request" if you want
Hobbies - some say put it in, some say don't. Personally I don't give two hoots what people do in their spare time unless it directly related to the job.

Keep it neat. Use a font size that can be easily read and keep it all the same plain font (Arial or Times Roman).

You were doing so well until you mentioned Times new roman. Under no circumstances should that font be used. Ever.

You were doing so well until you mentioned Times new roman. Under no circumstances should that font be used. Ever.
Generally speaking serif typefaces are more pleasing on the eye than serif typefaces, but perhaps it's an age thing. I bet many people don't notice.

What game are you in doc? The reason I ask is because the CV style, content and layout for a position in say Marketing (ie creative, stylish, eye-catching and quirky) should be very different for one aimed at a job in IT Support (factual, clear, simple and bullshit-free).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.