cv help

I'd recommend the following sections, keeping the whole thing to two sides, and using a mixture of lower case, upper case, bold, italics, etc, to present in an eye-catching but non-flashy format.

Name, address, e-mail and contact number
Profile: A single sentence summarising who you are and what you offer. Sell yourself.
Key skills: Bullet-pointed. Hard and soft skills. This saves the reader combing through every detail of your employment history to draw them out.
Employment history: Most recent job first. Show what you achieved/delivered, not just what was on your job description. Give most space to most recent, and less detail on early-career jobs.
Qualifications: Include both academic and vocational, but not nitshit ones. If you haven't got any, or they are shit, leave this section out.
Hobbies and interests: Keep it very brief. If possible, list ones that are of potential interest to an employer, for example demonstrating leadership, organisational or team working skills, or tenacity/resilience.

References are a waste of space. You can give them at the interview.
No need to give date of birth. A lot of employers are ageist.

Hope this helps a little.

2 pages maximum.
Make sure your contact details are correct - sounds obvious but its frightening how many cv's I've seen where the person has a wrong phone number on.
Run a spellcheck on it but then also get someone else to read it afterwards - I've had cv's in the past where they have no actual spelling mistakes but a word has been misspelled in such a way as to be another word so wasn't picked up by the spell check!
Sounds like a pain in the arse but slightly amend it for each job you are applying for - look for the essential skills bit on the advert and try to make sure as many of the key words from there are on your cv (within reason, don't just blatantly lie or make them up).

Write for the job you want not the jobs you've done. Highlight things needed in the job you want where you've done similar.
Example - new job needs customer relationship skills. Think of when you've done that even if not part of actual job.
Example - responsible for handling money, cash, invoices. Have you done that.

Write for the job you want not the jobs you've done. Highlight things needed in the job you want where you've done similar.
Example - new job needs customer relationship skills. Think of when you've done that even if not part of actual job.

Picking up on this, your covering letter should major on your suitability for that particular job. Tell the reader how you fit their requirements ideally.

I've heard it said that the average CV gets something like 30 seconds attention. Whether or not accurate, don't rely on the recruiter to dig deeply to find your selling points.

Evening everyone...me and the mrs are both looking for a new jobs but both require a cv...thing is we have both never had one and we aint got a clue where to start..we have both only had 4 jobs each since leaving school and we are both in our early 40's now...i believe they should be kept to a couple of pages these days but not to sure ...if there is anyone on here that could help us out in compiling one it would be hugely appreciated..if anyone can could you drop us pm...thanks in advance for any replies or pm's

Get it done professionally ............cost about £50. Well worth it a good provider will sit you down and talk to you about your career / achievements and will pull it all together for you. Don't forget to take details of the position /s you want to apply for

Can't stress this enough. Show that you can do the job you are after. Make your cv relevant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.