John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season isn't shaping up to be one of the most exciting ever for all the clubs, as the money sloshing around is giving all the clubs the ability to import the best talent available.
I think next season is going to be incredibly exciting.

Chelsea seems unwilling to spend big and will weaken, IMO, with the Lukaku-for-Costa deal. Mistake - add to this, they're one Hazard injury away from possibly falling out of the top 4. No way they'll waltz to the title next year.

United - massive rebuilding project ahead of them - yeah, yeah, Mou's clubs kick in, in their 2nd season - not so sure this time around - the rebuild facing Mou is far worse than any he's faced in his 2nd season so far. IMO, the scum won't challenge for the title next year.... it'll take yet another year of massive spending to fix that club.

Spurs and Pool - don't have the financial wherewithal to give their squads the best shot at the title - and haven't shown the recruitment savvy so far to overcome financial problems. Pool will likely improve their squad - not so sure that Spurs will - still both squads will be in contention for the title.

Arsenal - meh. Will likely try for a top 4 squad with not enough spending to contend for the title.

City slight favorites for the title IMO - but any slip gives the other top 4/5 clubs a big chance. A 5/6-way race for the title will be very exciting.

Last edited:
I think next season is going to be incredibly exciting.

Chelsea seems unwilling to spend big and will weaken, IMO, with the Lukaku-for-Costa deal. Mistake - add to this, their one Hazard injury away from possibly falling out of the top 4.

United - massive rebuilding project ahead of them - yeah, yeah, Mou's clubs kick in, in their 2nd season - not so sure this time around - the rebuild facing Mou is far worse than any he's faced so far. IMO, the scum won't challenge for the title next year.... it'll take yet another year of massive spending to fix that club.

Totenham and Pool - don't have the financial wherewithal to give their squads the best shot at the title - and haven't shown the recruitment savvy so far to overcome financial problems.

City slight favorites for the title IMO - but any slip gives the other top 5 clubs a big chance. A 6-way race for the title will be very exciting.

Also,

this year all of the top 6 are in Europe which will level the playing field.

Spurs play their home games at Wembley, a massive disadvantage IMO.

But he isn't good enough for Pep, nowhere near.

The idea is he is supposed to become good enough. Right now, he just does what Lescott did, plays it safe, with an extra 10% of quality on top. Then gives a goal away.

Lescott had a reasonable passing record, he just didn't do anything expansive. Mangala imo could do the same, if his defensive capabilities were considered good enough.

I've seen enough of Stones bringing the ball forward to know he's good enough to play the passing game Pep wants. Maybe you haven't. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

Teams that pressed us used to back off Lescott when he had the ball. They knew he couldn't do anything with it. As much as I enjoyed his defending he wasn't a remotely decent passer anywhere near Stones's level.

I've seen enough of Stones bringing the ball forward to know he's good enough to play the passing game Pep wants. Maybe you haven't. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

Teams that pressed us used to back off Lescott when he had the ball. They knew he couldn't do anything with it. As much as I enjoyed his defending he wasn't a remotely decent passer anywhere near Stones's level.

No he wasn't.

But Stones in the same position 9 times out of 10, will play exactly the same pass, as Lescott, except sometimes he'll do it without looking.

No he wasn't.

But Stones in the same position 9 times out of 10, will play exactly the same pass, as Lescott, except sometimes he'll do it without looking.

You're clearly adamant about this. I don't think I possess the ability to change your mind, even though I know you're grossly underestimating Stones's abilities to fit your agenda. Hopefully we'll have something to agree upon elsewhere in the future.

You're clearly adamant about this. I don't think I possess the ability to change your mind, even though I know you're grossly underestimating Stones's abilities to fit your agenda. Hopefully we'll have something to agree upon elsewhere in the future.

I haven't underestimated his abilities, I'm just describing the typical way he often uses them.

I hope we buy some top CM this or nex season and convert him to DM. He has a quality to be our Busquets.

Last edited:

They did exactly the same thing with Mangala too. Neither were a threat to anyone and it completely ruins our flow offensively.

On the other hand, Stones is perfectly capable of breaking through the first line of the opponent's press with either a pass or dribbling around an opponent or two. Everyone knows this is his strength but I suspect he didn't have the confidence to try it too often once his poor run of form had kicked in. Early season games, like the 2-0 loss to Spurs, display his abilities on the ball perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.