Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

KdB and D Silva can also both ply a deeper role when required, not necessarily DM, but they can both play deeper and dictate play, I'm not sure we will even play with an out and out DM anyway.

In last seasons main formation i don't see either of them playing in the deepest role. They definitely could, as you say, but it limits them and we get more from them playing further forward. Plus, i don't really see the need for it, other than wanting to fit in both SIlva's and KDB into the same team which seems a bit excessive to me. Both will need rest at various times in the season, leaving plenty of time for all 3.

Pep has mentioned the fact that Silva and KDB hardly got any rotation last season because of injury to Gundogan and lack of other options as something that he wanted to address. Of course, Pep could come up with some new crazy formation in a bid to get even more attacking threat on the pitch and either of them could end up in that kind of role, either way, for this season at least, we're covered.

We won't have a destroyer type in this kind of side,with the way Pep wants us to play and press we don't need one and they'd only look out of place in possession which is 70-80% of the game if last season is anything to go by.

I don't feel there is a role for a 'traditional' destroyer in this team. I have a feeling that Yaya, Gundongan and B Silva will all be used as they each combine the ability to receive a pass under pressure; the ability to turn to either side and pass with either foot, and also the ability to pass crisply, short and long, into feet or space.

The team needs a Busquets/Alonso/Casemiro type to be behind KdB/Silva^2/Gundo.

The club probably has someone lined up for next year. This year, we'll manage just fine with Yaya/Dinho/Gundogan who are all quite capable of controlling play from deep.

Thought's on Saul Niguez? Been very impressed when I've seen him play.

Under contract until 2026 (yes, you read that correctly) so he definitely wouldn't come cheap. Before he extended his release clause was £71m so can only imagine what it is now. But he is a fantastic player.

Get the uneasy feeling that we're going to pay a huge price if we overlook this issue again this season.

Gundogan is at present a liability and Yaya cannot run enough. Fernando and Delph will likely be gone soon and aren't good enough anyway. That's way too much for Fernandinho, who's probably going to backing up RB again with only 3 fullbacks in the squad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.