West Ham Post Match Thread | Friendly in Iceland

Have we played 4-4-2 this pre-season? Area we have least cover and we're playing 3 of them! Typical City :)
Yeah, found it funny too and was just thinking about this as the game went on. But obviously if some of them gets injured and we can't sign another CB, then we'll switch to our 'classic' 4-1-4-1. Or Tosin or Dinho as a CB or even Danilo or Walker or Mendy, but all these options are a bit of a stretch. Or Mangala. :)

Just not totally convinced he's ready. I think Pep is looking for at least one CB.

I think he's enough to be 5th choice.

It all hinges on what system he wants to play. If it's a back 3 (which I doubt) then we will need to go in the market.

Mangala's just not going to turn it round, is he? Who can we give him away to, I wonder?
The kids look thoroughly convincing. I'd like to see them in some league cup games this year. Tosin needs to bulk up a bit, doesn't he?

"I think we need a little bit more" A little bit more as in AS or EM, boss?
Mangala just not good enough. To suggest he's not a Pep palyer is very misleading. Nowhere near good enough for a team trying to achieve our targets, regardless of who's in charge.

We lacked intensity today, after the first goal it seemed like it was mid-season and they were saving themselves for an important champs league game in 2/3 days. Didn't really learn much from that but it's more fitness and no injuries that we know of.

Still don't think Sane is a viable option as a wingback, the odd occasion that West Ham did venture into our half Sane was exposed a few times and was 20 yards behind play trotting back, can't imagine the comments if Kolarov was still here and he had done that. going forward we lose a bit from him too, he can't afford to take a risk and dribble past a player as much when there's no cover and we're susceptible to a counter if he loses it. It'll work most of the time against the lesser teams but then we don't really need to play with a back 5 against that kind of side. Rest of the starting 11 all did as expected really, decent work out for them with nothing really noteworthy.

Of the subs we saw second half, Mangala for me did fine besides that one error which i'm blaming Ederson for. As i said in the match thread, Mangala could probably have positioned himself better to receive the pass but after seeing his starting position Ederson should never have given him that ball there was no way out. Still hope he stays, i don't see anybody available that's better and it gives us the cash to spend elsewhere.

Tosin is a tricky one, he looks decent but not quite ready, if we plan on playing 3 cb's we could really do with both him and Mangala/another as cover but you'd question whether he'd maybe be better off on loan playing regularly if we can find a good suitor.

Zinchenko seems a smart and technically capable player but doesn't have a position, he's not a fullback or wingback and midfield is jam packed so i expect he'll be loaned out soon enough.

Sterling has shown he can play upfront which gives us some cover in a 3-5-2 formation but i still think we're lacking upfront and need another body, it's fairly clear it's not going to be Sanchez, which is a disappointment but not a disaster, it needs to be somebody though.

Roberts didn't get much time, played centrally which isn't what we're used to seeing from his Celtic days and whilst neat and tidy didn't do much, seems to have fallen behind Diaz and Foden this pre-season, expecting him to be loaned out too, hopefully to a premier league side.

Speaking of the two youngsters, both couldn't really have done anymore this pre-season, don't look out of place at all and given Pep something to think about. Their problem is the positions they play are by far our most crowded area in the squad. Think they'll both stay around the squad this season. It will probably benefit them more training with the first team everyday than going out on loan somewhere. Not expecting to see them feature too much though, a few outings in the league cup, maybe a champions league appearance if we can seal qualification from the groups early and possibly a handful of games warming the bench.

On here will be fun the first few times we twat a team and they're not making the bench, they'll be a mountain of "we could have given him 10 minutes" calls from the mystic megs amongst us. Pep has handled them both extremely well, lets leave him to handle them how he best see's fit and not overhype them or demand they play like we have done with so many of our youth players over the past few years.

Not so much this game but overall it's been a good pre-season. Started off slowly and we looked a fair bit behind just in terms of preparation but it's been very positive, most have got good minutes, look fit and seem to have adapted effortlessly into a new formation. Bring on Brighton.

The system we intend to play is sort of key when deciding who to buy.

3 at the back lends itself to having two up front. In which case we need another goalscorer and probably a CB unless we are planning on playing Dinho there when needed or Mendy in the Left position.

If we play 4 at the back then we don't need another CB. Also more likely to play 1 up top in which case no need for a striker. This is the cheaper option.

Good practice for what the team is likely to face a lot this season. Movement off the ball good. Some slick play around the box. Our strikers got that goal scoring feeling. No injuries. Now for the proper stuff.

Had to go and do actual work today like a stinking normal people, gonna watch it in an hour after a shower and shit with a beer and j, my Friday night is sorted!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.