How good were Pink Floyd?

Obscured by Clouds (1972)
Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)

They f**king owned the 70's. Yes, they are (were) very good.

RIP Syd & Rick
The 70's for me were all about Prog rock then Punk rock

I will put my hand up and admit I know very little about them.

Always happy to listen and be convinced they are as good as fans of their work say.

Obscured by Clouds (1972)
Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)

They f**king owned the 70's. Yes, they are (were) very good.

RIP Syd & Rick
The 70's for me were all about Prog rock then Punk rock

Mine's just an opinion and you are entitled to yours mate. I'm not quite sure if your agreeing with me to tell you the truth as I've heard Floyd described as Prog Rock. However, 3 of the albums I quoted are in the 50 best selling albums of all time (Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall & Wish You Were Here). Punk came on the scene around 77 and Floyd had released 6 albums in the 70's by that time. Atom Heart Mother 1970 & Meddle 1971 coming before the ones I listed. I think its just safe to say I love the Floyd and would tell anyone who has no really looked into them to do so cos they're f**king great.

Although I would listen to Floyd. I listen to Roger Waters a lot more these days.

People slag Floyd off as being shite musicians (they're not by the way), but musicianship is only a small fraction of the Pink Floyd package.

I saw them live at Earls Court in 94, and they were absolutely amazing. The lights, the sound, the stage craft, the music, the production; all part of what makes up a live Pink Floyd performance.

Musically, first Barrett, then Waters were their driving force. Things got a bit odd during the late 70's, with Roger Waters dragging the rest of the band on a personal crusade (The Wall/The Final Cut). Waters left, and Gilmour took up the reins, and the rest is history.

Great back catalogue with the later stuff being more of Gilmour plus guests.

Brilliant when I saw them live, and DSOM is still one of the greatest albums of all time.

Although I would listen to Floyd. I listen to Roger Waters a lot more these days.

Agreed. He was the heart of the band for me - Amused to Death was a cracking album, and the In The Flesh tour (and live CD/DVD which followed) was a real highlight

But the short answer to the OP is: marvellous

Agreed. He was the heart of the band for me - Amused to Death was a cracking album, and the In The Flesh tour (and live CD/DVD which followed) was a real highlight

But the short answer to the OP is: marvellous

Amused to Death is the greatest solo album of all time. Though I'm sure the opinion of others and sales stats would prove I'm in a very small minority on that. The thing is I think I would probably pass Roger on the street without saying a word to him. I really don't think I'd like him at all. Mr David Gilmour on the other hand would have left my company long before I had asked all the questions I had for him and I'm not too fussed on his solo work. Strange but true. (I also love Radio Kaos but not too fussed on The Pro's and Cons).

Amused to Death is the greatest solo album of all time. Though I'm sure the opinion of others and sales stats would prove I'm in a very small minority on that. The thing is I think I would probably pass Roger on the street without saying a word to him. I really don't think I'd like him at all. Mr David Gilmour on the other hand would have left my company long before I had asked all the questions I had for him and I'm not too fussed on his solo work. Strange but true. (I also love Radio Kaos but not too fussed on The Pro's and Cons).

On a tangential note, I have a lot of time for Fish ex of Marillion as a lyricist, and I enjoy both his band and solo work. However I met him once and was somewhat underwhelmed, so I think you may have a point.
Never meet your 'heroes' ;-)

Agree with your ranking of his solo work btw. I can recall stubbornly travelling down to Wembley Arena to see Waters on his only K show of the Kaos tour, and deliberately passing on the chance to see the Gilmour-led Floyd who were touring at the same time playing much bigger venues (like Maine Road) - all because I "sided" with Waters. In retrospect I should've gone to both gigs!

The latest album is superb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.