Erik Palmer-Brown

I would rather he goes to Europe to tell you the truth. US Squad players are getting lazy when they play in MLS. Only hope for future internationals is if they go to the highest level and try to get regular playing time.

Last edited:
EPB is a very good get for City. Will he become an every match starter for the side? I doubt it. However, having watched him in person on 2 of his 4 first team starts and on TV for every other appearance he's made since getting called up to the senior squad, the kid is very good. He is a product of the SKC academy which is one of the better academy systems in the USA. A few weeks ago I heard that SKC was trying very hard to sign him to a long term deal but they were in big competition from clubs around the world. There was also talk about a sign and sell deal so that SKC could get some benefit from developing him to this point.

His biggest weakness is experience at higher levels. But the way scheduling happens here in the US for soccer, it is a very rare thing to see a teenager climb to the top flight in any league. When he's played in the first side for SKC, he's arguably the best defender on the pitch, NOTE that I didn't say the most gifted, but he's amazingly consistent. He has a good natural feel for the game, he has a knack at making plays before the ball gets too deep, etc. My expectations are that he will join MCFC in January, then he will practice with the senior team as well as the youth teams for a couple weeks before being loaned out until the summer. I could see him out on loan for two or three seasons where he goes away to play and then comes back to see how much he's developed.

I'm not saying he will ever be MCFC starting caliber, but I will not write him off. After the next World Cup, I expect him to be a constant call up for the US internationally as there are several players that will end their international careers after Russia and he's as good as any US defender that is waiting for their chance.

Better than Besler?

Better than Besler?

Besler is very good. However he has lost a step and puts himself and teammates into bad spots because he attacks a play the same way he did 2 to 3 years ago before he lost it. To his credit, he's savvy enough to work his way out of the problem most of the time. Opara is physically gifted and if I'm honest, I'd take both Besler and Opara in my side before EPB right now. But that is more with experience than level of play. When Besler is gone on international duty, SKC doesn't take a step backwards on defense and the goals allowed stats back that up. With EPB only having such little top flight experience, that is saying something.

If he's been "shown a path to the first team" who does he replace? Otamendi? Vinnie?

Surely he won't be ready next season? I'm hoping this path is the same the other young players are shown, if you work hard stay out of trouble, and are good enough you'll get an opportunity here.

If he's been "shown a path to the first team" who does he replace? Otamendi? Vinnie?

Surely he won't be ready next season? I'm hoping this path is the same the other young players are shown, if you work hard stay out of trouble, and are good enough you'll get an opportunity here.

I think the path was the one by the side of ASDA, poor lad has got somewhat confused - bless him

The only thing kind of concerning with the possibility of loaning him to PSV is that they were in for him too. He could easily have his head turned while he's there.

And for the record, I'm aware there's a great possibility that we only signed him to move him on for a profit, just saying if this is how it unfolds then that will weaken our negotiation stance significantly if he says he wants to go only there.

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.