What's the best you've ever seen City play?

First half at Tottenham a few years ago, night game. Sergio was fantastic and the football was unbelievable.

Leaving the rags to one side I'd go with (in no particular order)

3-1 vs Barcelona (h) last season
5-2 vs Spurs (h) in 94
2-4 vs Chelsea (a) in 11
0-6 vs Burnley (a) circa 00 when the Goat scored 5
0-5 vs West Ham (a) last season
1-5 vs Villa (a) circa 91 when Whitey scored 4
2-6 vs Wednesday (a) circa 02
1-6 vs Norwich (a) in 12
3-3 vs Newcastle (h) in 95 Kinkladze's finest hour
2-3 vs Blackburn (a) circa 94
2-2 vs Liverpool (a) circa 91 where we played them off the park but needed a 93rd minute header from Quinny to get a point
4-0 vs Leeds (h) circa 92

Last edited:
Feb 2004 away to Spurs FA cup, 3 down and down to 10 men, second half we were unstoppable

The first half against West Brom last week was sublime. You sit watching that, and the second half against Palace at the weekend, and you realise that football is being taken to a different level from anything we've hitherto seen; you almost feel embarrassed. However, we've yet to play 90 minutes against a genuinely strong opponent, so tonight and Chelsea should reveal just how well we are progressing.

If we can play ten straight games in all competitions where we never change our style and the tempo never drops, then heaven help the opponents.

A C Milan in the UEFA cup in 1978 at Maine rd and the FA cup quarter final replay against Eveeton in 81 are two that stand out for me also the 5-1 Charlton promotion game in 85, but plenty of performances under Keegan,Mancini,Pellegrini and Pep have been quality.

York away. Or failing that United in the semi final. Everybody gave everything that day.

Newcastle 1968 3 4 champions. I was 14 had the piss taken out of me at school by rags for years. That shut them up . The game was even until we went 2 4 up but Moncur scored for them with about 15 mins to go . We strode firm it was absolutely unforgettable . The North Western bus was very uncomfortable going but they must have changed the suspension on the way back because the bus was rockin !!!!

Leaving the rags to one side I'd go with (in no particular order)

5-2 vs Spurs (h) in 94
2-4 vs Chelsea (a) in 11
0-6 vs Burnley (a) circa 00 when the Goat scored 5
0-5 vs West Ham (a) last season
1-5 vs Villa (a) circa 91 when Whitey scored 4
2-6 vs Wednesday (a) circa 02
1-6 vs Norwich (a) in 12
3-3 vs Newcastle (h) in 95 Kinkladze's finest hour
2-3 vs Blackburn (a) circa 94
2-2 vs Liverpool (a) circa 91 where we played them off the park but needed a 93rd minute header from Quincy to get a point

The 5-2 is still probably my favourite City match of all time for enjoyment. Two teams hell bent on attacking it was like a game of basketball. Ille Dumitrescu was outstanding that day and on a par with Henry as the best opposing player performance I have seen.

Newcastle 3-3 Still get goosebumps watching kinkladze leave the three or four opposing defenders on their backside when we were attacking the Umbro Stand. Such a shame his shot flew over the bar as it would have been an incredible goal.

I remember the 1-1 with a Quinny header when we played them off the park only for Rush to score a tremedous volley. The headers memorable as it appeared a clear cut chance but Quinny headed it into the ground and time stood still as it tricked in off the post. The 2-2 I remember White scored two great Lobs?

Probably worth chucking in one of the 4-0s against Leeds and our 2-1 win at Villa park live on Tv when they were going for the lge and we had not won away for ages. Peter Reid with the winner.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.