With so much money spent in the Premier League,why are many games boring?

BYF8EGsCEAA2qhg.jpg
Wasn't he in the Arsenal end when they played us a few years ago?
Bottom left, wearing a cap.
fanscity.gif

The Premier League isn't 'competitive' because all teams play some decent football.

The "smaller" teams are just allowed to kick the shit out of teams like us and drag teams down to their level.

The effects of such tactics that lead to shock results make folk think the league's entertaining all the time.

Utd and Spurs struggled even with simple ball circulation in deep areas, almost every Spanish team does it with ease. Even the weakest la Liga sides often play excellent football (for example, Betis).

Top 6 Serie A Teams (Napoli, Inter, Roma, Sampdoria, Lazio - all bar Juve) are playing attractive attacking football. Positional play is conquering Italy. So, it's not always about money.
Just one example - Inter under Spalletti. Have you even seen Inter play this way??

I think the problems are:
1. Specific refereeing that differs much from continental one. Refs allow harder tackles and fouls, it leads to famous British 'all-action' play that was eliminated from other leagues 10-15 yrs ago. It's very difficult to use precise passing game if you're contantly kicked. It's not even my conclusions, I'm referring to Pep's words. There's no 'excessive physicality and pace' in PL, there's just different refereeing.

It also breeds problems with integration of youngsters.
It also explains why PL teams were so poor in Europe for years - very difficult to switch from one set of rules to another.

On the other hand, such different interpretation of the rules allows the league to have its unique face, attract more spectators and become richer. Judging by financial figures, the majority doesn't share your view @Magicpole (though I personally agree with it and find British hoofball to be quite boring).

2. Lack of domestic managerial talent and low average level of managers. Seems the educational system is poor in that regard. I honestly think that guys like Dyche, Bilic, Hughes, Pulis, Hodgson would struggle to find a job in German or Italian 2nd divisions. Some reforms are probably needed. Foreign superstars like Guardiola, Conte, Klopp cannot change the situation alone.

Very good, well thought out post, especially the bit about managers. I wish I had the statistic, but it showed the number of qualified coaches in Spain and Germany compared to England, and the difference between those two and England was huge. Even Iceland had a decent number when you consider the population. It accounts for why we don't produce decent homegrown managers. Instead we get a manager merry go round, where the usual suspects get jobs, get sacked, and the cycle continues. But this never gets talked about properly with our sports media being so poor, and preferring sensationalism and click bait. Instead we get the likes of Merson and co bemoaning Johnny Foreigner being picked over some mythical talent pool of British managers. The flack Pochettino, and Marco Silva got for the temerity of coming from overseas to manage an English club was disgusting.

Managers are a huge part of the problem. We need to be attracting more like fifteen top managers for the Premier League- right now we have (in my opinion) six. And one of those plays some of the worst football in the league anyway. Then there's a lot of dross like Pulis, Bilic, Hodgson and Hughes who quite clearly don't have a clue.

Only just come about this thread. Good thread and some excellent replies.

I’ve been saying it for the last 3 seasons. The premier league is the richest, not the best either technically or from an excitement point of view.

I keep stats based on a teams attacking performance. Wins, goals, shots, dribbles, crosses into the box, corners etc and I cover the premier league, championship, serie a, la liga Bundesliga and Ligue 1. I end up with individual scores for each team and a league average. The premier league is currently the lowest of them all and considering how shit Ligue 1 is, that’s fucking bobbins.

The Italian league in contrast is very good and was so last season too with many teams scoring plenty of goals. (The bottom sides are wank though as someone else has already pointed out) but either way there have been a number of teams with a more attaching ethos about them than the premier league has.

It’s all about money it’s as simple as that. Not going down is the only thing that any side outside the top 6 are bothered about and it breeds pragmatism. Then you’ve got some of the worlds best managers who’ve built a career on it, Mourinho & Benitez for example and it just breeds it even further.

Mourinho
Benitez
Hodgson
Allardyce
Pulis
Dyche
Houghton
Hughes
Puel
Moyes

Even maybe Mancini and Conte ?

These lot all base their game on being organised 1st and foremost. Look at the shit managers get from the media for being poor at the back also. Having carragher and Neville giving so called expert analysis before, during and after games won’t help that aspect but the point is that they constantly refer to poor defending and call out individuals if they put a foot wrong defensively and it attracts far more media attention than it would under a more level amount of scrutiny.

Look at Everton now. They sack a fairly decent manager and most of them now want big Sam in charge?? Funny as fuck as they’ll be moaning in 18 months about how shut the football is. He won’t care though, he can probably command 5-6 million a year for being able to keep them up.

There a huge positive though. That’s us. We’re potentially going to be the only side worth watching over the next few seasons and from a media perspective that’ll be mint for us. Maybe we’ll benefit from the media liking us, just like that red shit have over the years.

Theres a few posts about teams specifically against us and what are they supposed to do type comments.

That’s all good and to be expected I suppose because you’ll get a Watford type smashing if you’ve not got the quality. Bournemouth adopted a far more aggressive type game plan against us this season and very nearly got themselves a point. We’d hammered them in the 4 premier league meetings before the last one because they stick to their principles and did not have the quality to impose themselves on us.

However there no excuse for Chris houghton to not have a real go against Southampton at the weekend. It was a proper shit game of football with one team even taking an early lead which is supposed to open the game up a bit. It didn’t and it was shit. Last nights gave between Burnley and Newcastle was equally as shit and these games continuously occur despite neither side being up against a side that is so full of quality that they’d better not open up too much because they’ll get cained.

Taking away games where there’s a clear gulf in quality and the league is still full of absolute wank matches between scared teams and anti football managers. All going through the motions and earning a packet doing so.

Scrap the point for a draw or increase a win to 4 points. Maybe award a point for scoring 3 or more goals. All sound dramatic but they’d probably see off the likes of Pulis, Hodgson, Hughes etc.

Simply no points for a non scoring team (even a 0-0 draw) would mean teams having to at least try to score although once done the bus could still be parked

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.