Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a discussion Karen. No need for anyone to move along...the thread is about him.

He isn't all we have got though last night was perhaps the right decision to play him giving our other games.
I didn't literally mean move along from the discussion,tosin has played 1 game i think so to think he would be any better is stretching a lot,vinnie is glass and 2 bookings away from a ban so mangler is the best we had for last night and probably till john gets back assuming vinny will be injured or banned for rags and spurs games,he has to play to improve

I didn't literally mean move along from the discussion,tosin has played 1 game i think so to think he would be any better is stretching a lot,vinnie is glass and 2 bookings away from a ban so mangler is the best we had for last night and probably till john gets back assuming vinny will be injured or banned for rags and spurs games,he has to play to improve

I've seen the argument that he has to play to improve quite a bit. I don't think it's in him to improve the way say Delph has stepped up. I'd play Danilo at CH if needs must.

I'm aware of the point you are making I just don't feel that that incident was part of the plan. We aren't going to agree.

I also think he did plenty wrong last night. His booking was very typical and his marking and anticipation was atrocious.....in my opinion of course ;-)

Put it this way (on the larger issue) we need a centre half. If Mangala were playing for another team would you try to sign him? I think he is a very poor fit and I don't expect to see him play in all but emergencies.
We don't need a centre half. We have two very reliable centre halves that suit the system in Otamendi and Stones (when he returns), one of the best in the world for the past decade in Vinny, who can't play every game admittedly but is an amazing third choice and a capable fourth choice in Mangala, who accepts being fourth choice, which no top centre half in Europe is going to do. We also have two up and coming prospects in Tosin and Latibeaudiere.

If we decide to sign another I'll trust in Guardiola's judgement, but we'll have a hard time convincing anyone better than Mangala to be fourth choice and we'll lose Vinny or Otamendi if we sign someone who goes ahead of them in the pecking order. We need options at pivot, left wing and left back far more than we need another centre half.

We don't need a centre half. We have two very reliable centre halves that suit the system in Otamendi and Stones (when he returns), one of the best in the world for the past decade in Vinny, who can't play every game admittedly but is an amazing third choice and a capable fourth choice in Mangala, who accepts being fourth choice, which no top centre half in Europe is going to do. We also have two up and coming prospects in Tosin and Latibeaudiere.

If we decide to sign another I'll trust in Guardiola's judgement, but we'll have a hard time convincing anyone better than Mangala to be fourth choice and we'll lose Vinny or Otamendi if we sign someone who goes ahead of them in the pecking order. We need options at pivot, left wing and left back far more than we need another centre half.

Wow I think I disagree with nearly all of that particularly the second paragraph.We will see if we sign one!

Wow I think I disagree with nearly all of that!
Really, so,

You don't think Stones and Otamendi are reliable, or a good fit for the way we play?

You don't think Vinny is good enough to be third choice?

You don't think Mangala is a capable fourth choice?

You think a top centre half will be happy taking over from Mangala?

You don't think either Tosin or Latibeaudiere are prospects?

You don't think we're thinner in other areas than centre half?

Point by point please.

Really, so,

You don't think Stones and Otamendi are reliable, or a good fit for the way we play?

Point by point please.

Agree though Ota has taken time to improve.

Depends on his injury record going forward.

Absolutely not.

Given our roatation yes.

They are prospects we need a CH now to compete on all fronts to the end of this season.

Because the other areas are easier to cover in the short/long term. As Pep says we are particularly light at centre back.

Really, so,

Point by point please.

I don't think Vinnie is third choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.