Are the match going fans the last piece in Pep's revolution?

Don't agree with the price complaints, we have some of the cheapest tickets in the league and we get arguably the best football this country has ever witnessed. Cup games, City price them very well and we still don't attract this apparent core group of fans that have been priced out. There are things City could do to help. there's many things infact, but i believe we've got it pretty sweet when it comes to ticket pricing compared to the rest.

It's upto us fans to create the atmosphere, both home and away i often see day trippers making more noise than the guys on 20,000 points that go everywhere. This isn't a problem unique to City either, you can see it around the grounds across the country, the state of the game in this country has changed atmospheres in football grounds, it's a global spectacle now where the tv audience is deemed more important than the fan at the match, it's led to that connection you feel with the club when at the match being lost, there's a lack of togetherness and unity and that's what generally drives the atmosphere i stadiums. Like i said, this isn't something specific to us and for that reason i don't blame the club, its an issue with football in general in this country and until some drastic changes are brought in at the very top nothing will change
Just so I know, how do you tell a day tripper from someone on 20,000 points?

You’ve got a point bud.

I do think that a section where cheaper tickets are available and can be bought even on match day would help generate a fantastic, vocal and intimidating atmosphere though.

However, that’s not an excuse for those that are there tomorrow not getting involved with making a decent atmosphere.

It’s a 5:30 kick off. That usually helps with atmosphere as most are usually well oiled for kick off so I reckon tomorrow’s atmosphere will be decent.

Ah, so THAT’S the problem! No wonder it is a bit quieter where I sit....no one is drunk! ;-)

If you’re not in the family stand or south stand first tier look around at the crowd, most are 50 plus and therein lies the ‘problem’. Traditionally the most vocal supporters at games throughout the ages are and always have been in the 18-30 age bracket in which we have very few. Until we get working class ‘lads’ from Manchester and beyond going to the Etihad the ground will remain quiet.

Yeah we don't want people not from Manchester involved in our club like er, that Sergio, that Silva bloke and oh shit......grow up. The Management and squad are not from Manchester. That boat sailed about 1900 . You do not have to be from Manchester to support or play for City and guess what if you were born and bred within 2 Miles of main rd and be fourth generation blue does not make you a better or Real fan.

What makes a 'real' fan is loyalty and love of your chosen team.
Apparently not on this thread! No, a “real fan” is getting a cheap ticket, getting a belly full of beer and singing inane songs that rouse no one except the 50 fellas in the back of the lower tier! :-(

Tin hat firmly on but would love to hear a catchy jingle every time we scored a goal...and how about a bit of crowd noise through the speakers...come on CITY!!!

Worthy of a lifetime ban that mate! Goal music is the very definition of small town Johnny clubs. Right up there with clappers, jester’s hats, drummers, and half and half scarves

Yeah we don't want people not from Manchester involved in our club like er, that Sergio, that Silva bloke and oh shit......grow up. The Management and squad are not from Manchester. That boat sailed about 1900 . You do not have to be from Manchester to support or play for City and guess what if you were born and bred within 2 Miles of main rd and be fourth generation blue does not make you a better or Real fan.

What makes a 'real' fan is loyalty and love of your chosen team.

I like you

The reason there's largely no atmosphere is that we thrash everyone and it's largely a procession. The only time the crowd get remotely noisy is if we suddenly have our backs to the wall, so to say, and we are trying to turn things around. Great examples are QPR, Hamburg, Barcelona, and recently Southampton. Even then it's not really cheering or synchronised singing but more frustrated screams.

In effect we been muted by our own expectancy and a feeling of entitlement to do well. It's becoming akin to feeding Christians to the Lions in Ancient Rome.

All the bigger teams suffer the same and it's no surprise that the teams with the most fervent fans tend to be the Palaces and Huddersfields, who never expect long term success, but view all home games as s chance to upset the biggers teams' apple cart.

If you’re not in the family stand or south stand first tier look around at the crowd, most are 50 plus and therein lies the ‘problem’. Traditionally the most vocal supporters at games throughout the ages are and always have been in the 18-30 age bracket in which we have very few. Until we get working class ‘lads’ from Manchester and beyond going to the Etihad the ground will remain quiet.
Sadly, it took until Post 83 to cotton on to the real problem! I’m 54, my brother is 50, my sister is 57. We all sit together, surrounded by people from 30-60 years of age in EL2. The only young uns near us are the ones brought by their Dad on a kid’s SC and they’re a bit young to even sing half the songs!

Clearly, there needs to be a cheaper ticket available for those young fans who would like to come and cheer on their team, but what is the £ threshold? How many? To whom? Where in the stadium? How does the club control game day sales when the Police seem adamantly against it? Is buying a £5 City Card too much “extra” expense to consider you for a gameday ticket?

There are a million ways to skin the cat, but the club has a litany of things they have to do just to be compliant with all the rules and regs of the League, the Police and not disadvantaging other supporters.

There are obviously good suggestions in here, and some things seem like they would be easier to implement than others, but the solution appears to require a complete rethink, and possible reallocation of Seasoncards, based on designated areas, such as singing section, possible safe standing sections, and family areas. One wonders if there are ANY kids who have enjoyed the Family Stand concessionary ticket prices who, upon reaching age, have transferred int9 the singing areas for the game day atmosphere and camaraderie? I’d doubt there are many.

One last thing, while we are on the subject of “real fans,” how many people would give up ONE pre-match pint or a packet of fags to pay MORE to see this City team play?

The reason there's largely no atmosphere is that we thrash everyone and it's largely a procession. The only time the crowd get remotely noisy is if we suddenly have our backs to the wall, so to say, and we are trying to turn things around. Great examples are QPR, Hamburg, Barcelona, and recently Southampton. Even then it's not really cheering or synchronised singing but more frustrated screams.

In effect we been muted by our own expectancy and a feeling of entitlement to do well. It's becoming akin to feeding Christians to the Lions in Ancient Rome.

All the bigger teams suffer the same and it's no surprise that the teams with the most fervent fans tend to be the Palaces and Huddersfields, who never expect long term success, but view all home games as s chance to upset the biggers teams' apple cart.
Kinell, we’re on a roll with the “disease,” so what’s the cure?

I remember the Real Madrid Semi Final in Madrid. City fans were busting a lung, even though we were stuffed in the upper corner, but the Madrid fans were really quiet most of the game and seemingly only have ONE cheer...Hale Madrid! They didn’t even wake up until after their deflected goal, yet this is a world famous, globally supported club that sells out 80,000, has banners all over the place and was full of a good mix of younger and older fans. However, even at that game, one of the pilots I talked to on the flight over bought a “main stand, middle tier, great view” seat on walk up!!

It is not just City, even in the North West! Candlefield is a ghost town most of the game, The Bus Station is usually very quiet and only ever sings about two songs...one if they are winning (U-N-I...) and one in the second half if they are losing or drawing (Attack, Attack..!) and is half empty by 90 mins...and the same goes for all the bigger clubs with large grounds elsewhere. It is not just a City problem, but we are supposed to be a “Community Club” and need to serve our community, whether they are singers or not.

The atmosphere has to be organic and can’t be forced. However, we are watching such silky, skillful play, that it is almost difficult to sing spirited songs that get the blood flowing, because we are not a cut and thrust team, nor are we fighting for our life, the way we have in the past!

IMHO, it would be nice to have a few more player songs, and half decent ones too, instead of recycled chants from other players with a different name added (but then that is all problem and no solution, and I’m not known for my lyrics!) and a good selection of the top chants that help improve the atmosphere and create a better environment when we are playing well. (Hey Jude chorus {my favorite...easy to chant to and even the kids can do it!}, We’re not really here {although I’d also like to hear the old version of “We shall not be moved” now that we are sitting pretty on top of the League}, and Blue Moon, of course)

And, like others have mentioned, I long for a return of atmospheres like Hamburg at home, on a big European night! The singing that night gave me goosebumps and that must be the loudest the Etihad has ever been!

And, before anyone asks, yes, I do sing, even though most around me don’t! After a 4,000 mile trip, I figure that over the 90 minutes I can sing my heart out for the lads! After all, flying back hoarse is just another indication of a good trip!

Last edited:
I'm not unsympathetic to people who are struggling financially.
We're averaging around 54000 per PL game.
My comments are aimed at the people in the ground.

The problem isn't even just 'new fans', who are often the most enthusiastic.
It's the one's who were 'there when we were shit' that do my head in.
Many of them think they've earned the right to sit there in silence with a face like a slapped arse.
In a way the're right, they paid their money and they can behave how they like.
What they can't do is convince themselves they are helping, because they're not, they are the problem, not the solution.
They are the past, not the future.

We have the best manager and the best team, why not try and make the Etihad the most intimidating ground for visiting teams?
Bang on there mate.Not criticising the older end but I have noticed that they are not very vocal and prefer to stay seated and talk to their friends rather than support the team. I’m in my 40s and have “been there when we were shit” but I’m just as enthusiastic as my 14yr old lad when cheering on City. I do think as others have mentioned that price is a barrier to the younger supporters, particularly the 18 to 25 age group.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.