Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be happening if Sane wasn't injured? No.

Would this be happening if we weren't scared of FFP 2.0? No.

This is panic buying at its best.

Is Mahrez a very good player who will probably play very well in an excellent team? Yes. But it's a sad state of affairs that football has arrived at the point where you shell out close to 100 million pounds, to cover an injury for a few months, rather than give an academy player a chance.
The only one who is panicking is you.

One of the reasons for bringing forward summer signings was to get them cheaper than they'd cost in the summer.

Going to Leicester a day before the deadline is going to do the exact opposite

If we had been negotiating with them since or before the window opened we'd probably get him for 45m at most, this is a player who is desperate leave and has been for well over a year.

Look at Aubameyang's goal record, he is going much cheaper than he would do because he is desperate to go but Arsenal wouldn't get him for 60m or less if they had just started bidding now, leaving BVB no time to sort out a replacement.

I don't blame Leicester for quoting stupid prices. It's the club's fault for leaving it so late.

Agree with all that.

If Mahrez signed in 2 years time you are potentially looking at a midfiled and frontline of (ages.then in brackets)

Fred (26)
Bernardo (25) KDB (28)
Mahrez (28) Jesus (22)/Sterling (25) Sane (24)

with Foden and diaz as back up for the centre attack and still under 20, plus ferdy, Sivla and any incoming players added, that is a very young team

That is a team set to challenge for every trophy every year for the next 5 years+.

Only an idiot set of fans would see this as a strange decission like the rags are.

Get the twat signed.

As good as I think Mahrez is, or at least can be, at the price that’s quoted I’m not sure I’m on board.

With a fully fit squad is he ahead of Sané, Sterling, Silva, Agüero, Jesus or De Bruyne? Not for me.

Is he better than Bernardo? Yes, but the Silva Jr is showing signs of being a real find and may not be behind him for long.

Is he competing with Gundogan? No.

Is he better than Delph or Zinchenko? Yep, but they can play as LBs and for £90m he bloody well should be!

And where does that leave Foden, Nmecha and Brahim in terms of their opportunities and development?

I don’t think he’s a panic buy as much as he’s a borderline unnecessary expenditure when he’s very unlikely to be content being a second tier squad player for now.

EDIT: All of that being said, I love watching him in full flight, so...

Would this be happening if Sane wasn't injured? No.

Would this be happening if we weren't scared of FFP 2.0? No.

This is panic buying at its best.

Is Mahrez a very good player who will probably play very well in an excellent team? Yes. But it's a sad state of affairs that football has arrived at the point where you shell out close to 100 million pounds, to cover an injury for a few months, rather than give an academy player a chance.
Hardly panic buying.
We need 4 or 5 players to complete Pep's squad so bringing your spending plans forward to do that even with FFP 2.0 in place is good planning in my book.

This is how I see it....once we walked away from the Sanchez deal, we should have made a stronger push for Mahrez earlier in the transfer window. We have clearly wanted another attacker even before the Sane injury, so waiting until the last day shows poor planning. If rumours are correct, it would seem we made a bid earlier in the month and didnt go back in after that first bid was turned down...If this deal doesnt happen, it might come down to the fact we didnt leave ourselves/the selling club enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.