First Game

1969 FA Cup in january against Luton at Maine Road 1-0 to us, it was the first time I went with my Dad and I was hooked when we came around a corner and I heard the Kippax roar for the first time, and we stood on the Kippax and was able to see both half's of the match from both ends of the Kippax, a very special day for me............

Against Blackpool, they had Stan Matthews and City had a big German lad in goal.

first match shrewsbury away lost 1-0
first match at maine rd city2 Portsmouth 2 early 80's division 2

August 1971 first game of the season vs Leeds, lost 0-1 Tony Book own goal, sat on the benches in the Platt Lane, new North Stand was opened, all standing, looked really impressive from the opposite end

United 0 City 5 in 1955 or '56. My dad and uncles were quite worried for most of the first half because the rags were on top but Paddy Fagan, I think, scored towards the end of the first half and we went in one up at half time. The second half just seemed like a succession of City goals one after another and I got the impression, though I was too young to realise (or even see enough!). After that game I thought for a while I'd been born under a lucky star....

PS Can any old codger fill in some of the details - I was only 7 at the time.
Paddy Fagan scored two, Hayes two and Hart 1.
I was at that game and vividly remember one of United's forwards breaking clear, tried to lob Bert Trautmann who calmly jumped up and collected the ball.
My first game was the one before that - at home to Cardiff which we won 4-1.
I lived in Gorse Hill at the time - about half a mile from the swamp but my dad was a blue through and through so we'd always catch the football specials to Maine Road bus depot - even for reserve games.

Not my first game but the first I can remember was v Everton . Sat in Platt lane on the benches. Some one was throwing Everton mints into the crowd and they had players called Barker and Dobson. Can’t remember owt else not even the score I just know that was it I was hooked. I M guessing around 1972 -ish.

My dad, a lifelong Blue who's sadly no longer with us and missed the post-2008 revolution, took me along to see City play Villa in the 2nd last game of 1958-59. City were in serious danger of relegation but despite that and a 0-0 draw I was hooked. I hadn't missed a season since until I gave up my seasoncard this season due to health and mobility issues but happily I've got a ticket for the Brighton game so, despite only attending one game this season, I'll at least make an appearance in my 60th consecutive season as a Blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.