Uber

this thread...

ad_2381243381.jpg

Heathrow Airport is £62.00 with Uber from where I live. The local office does it for £50.00. They require just an hour notice too.
There are circumstaces where Uber can bail you out of the shit; like last summer when me and my lad went to the wrong baseball stadium to watch New York City! (my own, ridiculous fuck up) My son swiped his App, the cab was with us in under a minute and we only missed the first ten minutes of the game. It was good value too. There's no way that would have been the case with a conventional cab.

Uber should run alongside Hackney Carriages (who can be app based too) and private hire firms. They all serve a purpose.

It’s usually just a case of finding a good local firm near you. Had some shocking ones in South Manchester. One couldn’t get to the Etihad and the other didn’t know Newton Street in town. Just basic tests to the drivers would prevent a passenger feeling no confidence in the journey.

Does he mean Sean Wright-Phillips? A player there who never had a great career.

Nobody had a bad experience? I tried to get from Clayton to Failsworth and four drivers accepted then cancelled the fare because it clearly wasn’t convenient for them. I understand they don’t know your destination until they get there but can see distance and other details. That should be stopped. It also happened when I was being collected from a pub so I imagine they’ve had a bad experience with drunks. Shame it was 7pm.

The fact most drivers appear to rely on satnav as opposed to knowledge speaks volumes. They’re hardly the most professional ones. It’s a gig economy for a budget alternative.

London are trying to ban them (ironic considered most of the drivers probably voted Khan in!)

Had mixed experiences myself. When City played Spurs away at Wembley back in April I was going to watch it at The Crown in Heaton Moor and was going to pick up a couple of mates on the way. I live in Gorton and ordered an Uber. The driver who accepted the fare was only down the road in West Gorton so I expected him at mine in a few minutes. Incredibly, he cancelled on me despite just being around half a mile away and I had to wait a good while for another to turn up. I think it’s a disgrace that drivers can cancel a pick-up with no comeback yet if you cancel on them they charge you for it.

A local firm would never cancel on you. I guarantee the driver fancied a better fare. I understand they know distance as opposed to destination.

I drink in Clayton after the match and I’d get back to Failsworth by taxi. Uber was maybe 50p cheaper but not the good fare the drivers want on a Saturday evening. I made a complaint and received generic spiel back. I deleted it that night.

Many drivers lacked basic cabbie skills. One took me to the airport and didn’t open the boot for my luggage. Also didn’t ask where I was going. Basic etiquette. I love to talk to new people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.