Zack Steffen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait.... 7 to 10 mill?! He isn't worth that. Eh. I guess who cares. His youth clubs won't get a cent of that money anyway, because the MLS doesn't allow training fees.
Not only that, but in the MLS the selling club only gets something like 65-70% of the transfer fee and the league gets the rest. The whole setup is bizarre

Not only that, but in the MLS the selling club only gets something like 65-70% of the transfer fee and the league gets the rest. The whole setup is bizarre

I don't have a problem with the league getting a little money, but the way the fees are set up is fucked up. Columbus can't claim him under the Homegrown rule, and that is a big part of any money they would get. Seattle, LA and Dallas have done really well by getting homegrown fees. And then, like I said, the stateside academy Zach played with first get's none of that money. Commissioner Don Garber has done a good job of building the MLS up but his rules prevent it from any decent growth or future advancements like loosening salary cap rules or relegation. But there's a reason that Americans hates their own football league more than International fans do.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the league getting a little money, but the way the fees are set up is fucked up. Since they bought Zack from a German side, Columbus can't claim him under the Homegrown rule, and that is a HUGE FEE. And the other two academies he played with first get none of that money. Commissioner Don Garber has done a good job of building the MLS up but his rules prevent it from any decent growth or future advancements like loosening salary cap rules or relegation. But there's a reason that Americans hates their own football league more than International fans do.
I don't see why the league should get anything out of player sales actually. There is no purpose to it beyond lining the owners pockets. It's money that should go back into players.

The whole league is a mess... Salary cap, no relegation, single entity ownership. Not for me

I don't see why the league should get anything out of player sales actually. There is no purpose to it beyond lining the owners pockets. It's money that should go back into players.

The whole league is a mess... Salary cap, no relegation, single entity ownership. Not for me

I don't think it should either, but according to them, and I am not making this up, "The league isn't profitable." Which is generally BS, they don't have a good TV contract but almost all the have good attendance and the costs of running a franchise aren't substantial compared to say the NFL or NBA. The problem is the MLS marketing wing, SUM, does all the marketing for the US National Team. That's where a good chunk of their money comes from. They don't change any national policies that would affect the MLS bottom line. It''s also why coaching licenses cost so much and things like Pay To Play define how kids grow up learning football. The MLS owners don't make anywhere near the money of the NFL but they don't care WHERE there money comes from. It's also why the only thing they care about is getting their hands on the 2026 World Cup. That way they can keep the US Team results DOWN and the profits UP. The new USSF President Cordeiro has no connection to MLS but I don't think he plans to do anything different from Sunil Gulati, his mentor.

The new USSF President Cordeiro has no connection to MLS but I don't think he plans to do anything different from Sunil Gulati, his mentor.

Spot on. If they really cared more about becoming competitive internationally, they'd bin the whole system and start over. In the US, football has, and always will be, a sport for the wealthy. Every other country, it's the sport for everyone.

You mean ASIDE from the sub-par football?

Yeah. Nothing is worse than an American who enjoys all the benefits of PL football and then feels the need to apologise for the American version, while not even supporting their local club team. That's BS. My cousin complained about level of play at the school he taught at. Now he coaches boys and girls to local academies and colleges. He's doing something about it. If we don't affect change at a grass roots level, nothing will get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.