Plastic carrier bag cost to double

bluethrunthru

Latest govt plan is to double the price to the consumer. This is to try and reduce plastic bag use further. Is it an admission the 5p charge is too low and hasn't had the desired effect in full? Why is the consumer the target? Why not the trade? You can get loose broccoli in a supermarket right next to broccoli wrapped in cling film. Loose carrots next to bagged carrots. The sole purpose of these is to make you buy more than you needed / intended. Why do consumer goods have to be fastened into a plastic wrapper inside a cardboard box and so on? Mostly to make them easier to transport and display - no real benefit to the consumer.

Is it time we made different choices making it clear that we do so because of excess / unnecessary packaging. Is there any point to the UK doing this if other parts of the world don;t bother? Are we just making more room in the world for discarded single use plastic bags from China and the States?

Latest govt plan is to double the price to the consumer. This is to try and reduce plastic bag use further. Is it an admission the 5p charge is too low and hasn't had the desired effect in full? Why is the consumer the target? Why not the trade? You can get loose broccoli in a supermarket right next to broccoli wrapped in cling film. Loose carrots next to bagged carrots. The sole purpose of these is to make you buy more than you needed / intended. Why do consumer goods have to be fastened into a plastic wrapper inside a cardboard box and so on? Mostly to make them easier to transport and display - no real benefit to the consumer.
Yeah, it does my head in that. I don't even care about the environmental issues, I just resent being told how many carrots I have to buy. But on the plastic bags, I don't see why they don't just ban them. I lived in Morocco when they banned them, and they just replaced them with non-plastic bags that cost about 10p a time.

Anyway, it reminds me of Rhod Gilbert's rant about trying to buy one baked potato.

Is it time we made different choices making it clear that we do so because of excess / unnecessary packaging. Is there any point to the UK doing this if other parts of the world don;t bother? Are we just making more room in the world for discarded single use plastic bags from China and the States?

Tbh, I’d do both. I agree with your point about putting pressure on suppliers, but I haven’t got an issue with a 10p charge. Looking back, even at 5p, it has changed my behaviour - I would get a bag 100% of the time before the charge came in but often now stagger out with bulging pockets and various sundry items stacked against my midriff

Of course more needs to be done about controlling wasteful packaging. In itself it’s a good move though. The introduction of 5p charges had a big impact. This should give it a boost.

As a side issue, most of the bag proceeds go to charities and local causes. I’m much happier with that than the government trousering them.

All this help the environment what we do wont make one bit of a difference while the usa china and india 3 of rhe biggest countries in the world are bit serious about it! We are a little island! Its good for the governent though its a money making tax galore

All this help the environment what we do wont make one bit of a difference while the usa china and india 3 of rhe biggest countries in the world are bit serious about it! We are a little island! Its good for the governent though its a money making tax galore
Got to start somewhere mate, I do understand what you are saying, but if we all,said fuck it in the past then the world would be a worse place than it is. I’ve recycled ever since I lived in Germany in the early 90s when over here you just had one bin, we had 5, general rubbish, cardboard, green bottles, brown bottles and clear bottles of glass. Obviously plastic is a huge problem yet I still see McDs using them for straws when a lot aren’t, I think big corporations should bear the brunt of the tax hikes I just can’t get my head round veg in plastic, save your body but not the planet utter fucking nonsense

But then they offer you one of those thin PLASTIC bags to put yer carrots 'n broccoli in.

Got to start somewhere mate, I do understand what you are saying, but if we all,said fuck it in the past then the world would be a worse place than it is. I’ve recycled ever since I lived in Germany in the early 90s when over here you just had one bin, we had 5, general rubbish, cardboard, green bottles, brown bottles and clear bottles of glass. Obviously plastic is a huge problem yet I still see McDs using them for straws when a lot aren’t, I think big corporations should bear the brunt of the tax hikes I just can’t get my head round veg in plastic, save your body but not the planet utter fucking nonsense

Absolutely pal. Did you see that report on countryfile of all the old landfill sites which were inexplicably put near the coast, and now years later thanks to coastal erosion are ‘weeping’ rubbish from 20, 30 years ago, including plastic bags, are the cliffs on the shoreline, on the beach and into the sea. Seriously grim stuff. For something like that, what China, USA etc do or don’t do is irrelevant. If we cut down our own waste it will make a difference to this little island!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.