Plastic carrier bag cost to double

Our daughter lives in New Zealand, everyone takes their shopping home in the cardboard boxes the supermarket give away instead of chucking in the bin.

All this help the environment what we do wont make one bit of a difference while the usa china and india 3 of rhe biggest countries in the world are bit serious about it! We are a little island! Its good for the governent though its a money making tax galore

The bag charges don’t go to the government, mate. They mostly go to charities.

Agree it will be difficult to get USA and China serious but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t show willing.

I don’t get how hard it can be to get companies to use recyclable packaging in the first place ! The majority of food packaging can’t be recycled , certain plastics can’t be saved ( black vac formed )

Also why can’t the country have the same coloured bins which is then colour coded to the packaging so it ensures you are putting it in the right bin ? Surely it’s not that hard but just seems to be pushed onto the end user to do the majority of the work

Absolutely. It’s all possible but we need to get more momentum. I believe a lot of the public are receptive providing, first, that the right levers are pulled and, second, that “doing the right thing” is made straightforward.

Just ban them.

They don’t exist in French supermarkets, they got rid years ago.

i remember cardboard boxes near the tills you could use don't see it anymore

Still do it in Tesco, got cages full of them by the tills, only problem is you forget your box and end up with a million stackable cardboard crates. At least they're recyclable I suppose.

i remember cardboard boxes near the tills you could use don't see it anymore
If the refuse collection staff weren't so picky the use of cardboard boxes would be good, but a slightly ajar bin they won't pick it up, green bin won't pick it up if it's too heavy(have to store the grass cuttings and get rid over a couple of weeks in the summer).

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

A lot of towns around here are starting to ban plastic bags and straws, and in towns that aren't mandating it, a lot of individual businesses are taking it upon themselves to do so. My local grocerery store gives you 5c off per bag if you bring your own, paper bags are always available too

Bring back the paper bag ! Never wanted to use plastic ones. Why should I foot the bill.
Still have to pay for paper bags in Mcdonalds in Wales.
Annoys me as it's not as if you can use a grease saturated wet paper bag the next time you go shopping.

It's not just plastic carrier bags which are a problem.
What about takeaway food containers?
Everywhere from the local chippy to pizza and burger chains use all manner of packaging which is difficult to recycle.
What about dog poo bags too?

Call me a cynic, but has this suggestion been made to distract us from Brexit and other more important issues?

So has it distracted you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.