Talksport

Yes, I’ve mentioned it before on here too. Agree with you.
Perhaps we need a Talksport 2 thread as well ;-)
I have tried Talksport 2 but it just seems to be repeats of sections of what has been on the main channel. It still carries comments from morons like Neil Custis and Perry Groves. I just can't listen to this sort of crap anymore. I love football and just want to listen to intelligent analysis rather than gibberish lifted from social media. Did you know that 85 per cent of people in the UK do not see (let alone actively use) Twitter and yet so many media people (especially on the BBC) think Twitter items should form the basis of their content. Mainstream media organisations have simply lost touch with the mainstream audience in the UK. Talksport is just a group of trolls talking to each other in loud voices.

Now you're talking! Completely agree with you, there is a huge opportunity for impartial, fact-based, investigative sports stations/programmes both on the radio network and on television in the UK. As you say, I'm sure these would be welcomed by sports followers all over the country, especially football fans who see beyond the usual tribal loyalties guff.

I'd emphasise the need for such stations/programmes to provide at least some element of in-depth analysis of issues affecting footy, including everything from the structure of the game to the tactical appreciation of the game to the financial side of the game. And so on and so on..

I've never listened to the 'yah-boo-sucks' stuff like Talksport, nor have I tuned into those offered up by the BBC at national and local level almost a decade now. The reason being, as you say, the increasingly dumbed-down offering from those outlets, hand in hand with their tabloid chums. And as for MOTD and the bunch of airheads employed to be the so-called 'experts'.. don't get me started!
It's time the BBC expanded 5 live Sports Extra into a 24 hour sports station with the emphasis on football but as money is so tight at the Beeb there's no chance (Zoe Ball is on £1.2M a year BTW)

It's time the BBC expanded 5 live Sports Extra into a 24 hour sports station with the emphasis on football but as money is so tight at the Beeb there's no chance (Zoe Ball is on £1.2M a year BTW)

5k for 3 hours work where over 2/3rds of it your off air playing songs, that's a seriously good gig if you can get and a fucking travesty for the license payers

You

What!
There’s far too much time given to Savage and the Cardiff fan gobshite as it is.

Most of the BBC's output is watched or listened to by virtually no one. A lot of it just replicates what is already out there and TV is dominated by repeats. The BBC needs to slim down dramtically and just focus on high quality content. It has been overtaken by Sky drama as well as streaming services like Netflix. Its news coverage needs to get out of its metropolitan bubble and start providing a service for the 55 million people that live outside London. It's just not relevant anymore and that includes its football coverage. The website is obsessed with social media fanboy culture which is a minority demographic.

Most of the BBC's output is watched or listened to by virtually no one. A lot of it just replicates what is already out there and TV is dominated by repeats. The BBC needs to slim down dramtically and just focus on high quality content. It has been overtaken by Sky drama as well as streaming services like Netflix. Its news coverage needs to get out of its metropolitan bubble and start providing a service for the 55 million people that live outside London. It's just not relevant anymore and that includes its football coverage. The website is obsessed with social media fanboy culture which is a minority demographic.
But apart from that the BBC is OK?
Joking aside, I find the BBC to be just a patronising, over-PC corporation that is trying hard to please everyone and actually pleasing none.

Didn't they try and make the argument that it's just people on twitter that don't want Liverpool to win the title? I think they have clear bias and will seek out anything that supports their outlook and ignore all that contradicts it, in other words they love twitter and social media, until they see trends they don't like, then it's all bollocks. That kind of behaviour is embarrassing for a professional organisation, which is supposed to be held in high esteem.

I have tried Talksport 2 but it just seems to be repeats of sections of what has been on the main channel. It still carries comments from morons like Neil Custis and Perry Groves. I just can't listen to this sort of crap anymore. I love football and just want to listen to intelligent analysis rather than gibberish lifted from social media. Did you know that 85 per cent of people in the UK do not see (let alone actively use) Twitter and yet so many media people (especially on the BBC) think Twitter items should form the basis of their content. Mainstream media organisations have simply lost touch with the mainstream audience in the UK. Talksport is just a group of trolls talking to each other in loud voices.

Yes, agreed, there's much in truth in that, but they also devote a lot of time (more time) to sports news based content ie not relying on opinions. For example, in direct competition to brazil, the morning show it much more refreshing, although a bit repetitive if you listen for long periods. I'm not saying its perfect by any means, and I have got into the habit of listening to the footy podcasts every Monday and Thursday. But I think you're also being a bit disingenuous or naive about them having 'lost touch with the mainstream' - whether they take the twitter or non-twitter audience, the supporters of the 'red teams' still represent the biggest chunks of the footy supporting population, and they will still pander to them. It's just numbers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.