Talksport

Yes, agreed, there's much in truth in that, but they also devote a lot of time (more time) to sports news based content ie not relying on opinions. For example, in direct competition to brazil, the morning show it much more refreshing, although a bit repetitive if you listen for long periods. I'm not saying its perfect by any means, and I have got into the habit of listening to the footy podcasts every Monday and Thursday. But I think you're also being a bit disingenuous or naive about them having 'lost touch with the mainstream' - whether they take the twitter or non-twitter audience, the supporters of the 'red teams' still represent the biggest chunks of the footy supporting population, and they will still pander to them. It's just numbers.

I agree that most of the media has always focused heavily on United and Liverpool because they are the largest potential audience but these days they seem to target the overseas fanboys more than matchgoing fans. The content (especially online) is largely trivial and juvenile. This is not good economic sense because you make money by selling targeted adverts online and the fanboy demographic is not attractive to most advertisers because they don't have much spending power.
I have no doubt the tabloid press and Talksport has alienated its core support. I make a point of meeting opposition matchgoing fans as much as possible and they usually complain about media coverage (and not just of their teams). In this country a lot more people hate Liverpool and United than support them.
The reason why Netflix is the world's most successful company at present is because it has produced high quality intelliegent content. Thankfully most people are not morons.

Most of the BBC's output is watched or listened to by virtually no one. A lot of it just replicates what is already out there and TV is dominated by repeats. The BBC needs to slim down dramtically and just focus on high quality content. It has been overtaken by Sky drama as well as streaming services like Netflix. Its news coverage needs to get out of its metropolitan bubble and start providing a service for the 55 million people that live outside London. It's just not relevant anymore and that includes its football coverage. The website is obsessed with social media fanboy culture which is a minority demographic.

Fortitude averaged 722k viewers per episode for sky - Tin Star 1.7m. Les Miserables gets 4.5m an episode for the BBC on Sunday night.

I agree that most of the media has always focused heavily on United and Liverpool because they are the largest potential audience but these days they seem to target the overseas fanboys more than matchgoing fans.

I'd guess partly because an awful lot of people in the media in influential positions grew up dippers and rag fans - well glory hunters to be accurate - and I bet their age relates to the periods of success - i.e. the older ones will be dipper fans. That then brings an in-built bias that will take time to dissipate - expect some more Chelsea leanings to come through as their fans climb the greasy pole of media success.

As for the overseas challenge - well I suppose here in the UK we are at saturation and all they can hope for is audience churn as people move from platform to platform and provider to provider. The money is now overseas - on-line content can be accessed almost anywhere so the heat is on to get those viewer who are hungry for PL coverage and news - they will base that content on the number of fake shirt sales in that country I suppose lol.

Only just heard five minutes in the car. Durham player of the season so far-reaching Rashford. Ooh, that should provoke some debate.

Whoever it was on this thread the other day who said he had become a parody of himself was absolutely correct. What a waste of apparent intellect.

Fortitude averaged 722k viewers per episode for sky - Tin Star 1.7m. Les Miserables gets 4.5m an episode for the BBC on Sunday night.
I'm not talking about peak time TV. A lot of BBC programmes on radio are lucky to get a few thousand viewers and some get even less. It was reported recently that some of the CBBC output (Blue Peter) had viewing figures in the hundreds. The BBC needs to focus on high quality content not quantity. We pay for it and it is just too big. Perhaps it should become a subscription service like Netflix. I believe broadcast TV is doomed in the long-term.

Only just heard five minutes in the car. Durham player of the season so far-reaching Rashford. Ooh, that should provoke some debate.

Whoever it was on this thread the other day who said he had become a parody of himself was absolutely correct. What a waste of apparent intellect.
To be honest pal I think this guy's state of mind needs to be seriously questioned.

Heard that and turned off......

I'm not talking about peak time TV. A lot of BBC programmes on radio are lucky to get a few thousand viewers and some get even less. It was reported recently that some of the CBBC output (Blue Peter) had viewing figures in the hundreds. The BBC needs to focus on high quality content not quantity. We pay for it and it is just too big. Perhaps it should become a subscription service like Netflix. I believe broadcast TV is doomed in the long-term.

so you accept that the BBC is in fact attracting and audience rather than being watched by no-one? If you want to single out programmes and times look at Sgorio on Welsh TV
and Talksport 3 on radio and so on. Your dislike of the BBC is no reason on its own to be rid of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.