Grealish attacked on the pitch(update p33)

I was once headbutted by Steve Whitton (you may have to google him) in a kebab shop. Completely deserved it. He used to play (when I say play I mean he wore the shirt) for West Ham. I was drunk and was c@nting him off for being next to useless. While I was completely correct he didn't like me pointing that out. I'd never have reported it.

Not quite sure what my point is here. I just think this whole thing has become more than it really was.
How far did he miss you by?

Possibly. It is strange I actually have conflicting thoughts on this. I am of the opinion they have to put a stop to this shit which seems to be creeping back, like violence between fans in and around the ground. If you are going to give someone a 14 week sentence though I do wonder what is the point.

You have to wonder about the mentality of a young father with another child on the way to do something so idiotic. Unemployed he has just made it even more difficult to get work. Nuts.
Yeah, I’m with you most of the time on short sentences, but this one was both inevitable and (broadly) correct.

I was once headbutted by Steve Whitton (you may have to google him) in a kebab shop. Completely deserved it. He used to play (when I say play I mean he wore the shirt) for West Ham. I was drunk and was c@nting him off for being next to useless. While I was completely correct he didn't like me pointing that out. I'd never have reported it.

Not quite sure what my point is here. I just think this whole thing has become more than it really was.

Did Whitton play for Coventry at some point? Got a vague recollection of him scoring a screamer for them with the MOTD cameras present.

Can’t really agree with the last bit - what happened yesterday was close to unprecedented in English football.

Probably a generation thing. I have been smacked and jumped outside a night club once by a group of lads but the thought to call the police never entered my head. Also you probably thought deep down you deserved it for giving him grief.

This is different because he ran on a pitch and attacked a player doing no wrong. If Grealish was goading their fans I would say well I could understand the anger and loss of control, but he wasn't. If it goes unchecked every knob will think it is worth having their five minutes of infamy by doing similar.

Differing circumstances? In that Grealish did nothing to provoke that bellend to attack him whereas the same can’t be said of Simmons who clearly hurled a tirade of abuse? What was it he claimed he said - “Off you go Cantona - it’s an early bath for you!”
Yeah, that’s fair enough, but on the flip-side Cantona’s offence was commited in the immediate presence of children, some of whom would have idolised him. Provocation or not, his actions could have caused them physical and/or emotional harm.

Todays sentence has to be balanced against the fact that sentences have increased significantly in the last 25 years; especially for crimes of violence and sex.

Yeah, I’m with you most of the time on short sentences, but this one was both inevitable and (broadly) correct.

As you say though 4-7 weeks I don't see that is either a deterrent or a punishment. Sure if he hasn't been inside before he won't find it pleasant but it will be over before he knows it. Being banned from following his club will hurt him more.

As you say though 4-7 weeks I don't see that is either a deterrent or a punishment. Sure if he hasn't been inside before he won't find it pleasant but it will be over before he knows it. Being banned from following his club will hurt him more.
This type of offence is so unusual that I feel they had to impose near to the statutory maximum to send out a message. I’m anything but a hang ‘em and flog ‘em merchant, but in instances like this, a (relatively) harsh sentence needs to be handed out, to deter others going forward. That is very much in the public interest.

I reckon you’ll see some new offence of something like committing an assault on a regulated football pitch become a specific offence with a maximum sentence of circa five years. Any more serious assaults will be covered by the offences against the person act, but they could make commIting those offences on a regulated football pitch an aggravating feature when it came to sentencing. Any aggravating feature for a s18 and you’re usually looking at double figures.

Needs to be stamped on, imo.

Last edited:
What I find quite funny, you get up early on a Sunday morning to go watch a football match, and by mid afternoon Monday you're serving a prison sentence, having already spent an afternoon, evening, and night locked up, and will never (in theory at least) ever watch his team at home again, has probably lost his job, and his family have had to move out of their house.

We've all had bad weekends watching football, I wonder if he's thinking "what a c**t I was yesterday" tonight ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.