Grealish attacked on the pitch(update p33)

This type of offence is so unusual that I feel they had to impose near to the statutory maximum to send out a message. I’m anything but a hang ‘em and flog ‘em merchant, but in instances like this, a (relatively) harsh sentence needs to be handed out, to deter others going forward. That is very much in the public interest.

Agreed.

Probably a generation thing. I have been smacked and jumped outside a night club once by a group of lads but the thought to call the police never entered my head. Also you probably thought deep down you deserved it for giving him grief.

This is different because he ran on a pitch and attacked a player doing no wrong. If Grealish was goading their fans I would say well I could understand the anger and loss of control, but he wasn't. If it goes unchecked every knob will think it is worth having their five minutes of infamy by doing similar.
I'm not for one minute condoning it and I sort of see the reason why a precedent has to be set. But it just seems ott to me. Football fans are the punching bag it seems to me (no pun intended).

I was once headbutted by Steve Whitton (you may have to google him) in a kebab shop. Completely deserved it. He used to play (when I say play I mean he wore the shirt) for West Ham. I was drunk and was c@nting him off for being next to useless. While I was completely correct he didn't like me pointing that out. I'd never have reported it.

Not quite sure what my point is here. I just think this whole thing has become more than it really was.
I remember watching him for Colchester United. He always had more chance of nutting someone than scoring

I'm not for one minute condoning it and I sort of see the reason why a precedent has to be set. But it just seems ott to me. Football fans are the punching bag it seems to me (no pun intended).

Not really. If some nut ran on any sporting arena and attacked a sportsman/woman I think they would be hammered as well, but it rarely happens. I will agree years back we were treated like absolute shit but then there was some justification, although the police did provoke some of it. It is a shame that just as we are starting to be treated a bit better on the whole that dickheads are seeing this relaxation as a chance to start acting up again.

Football fans are the punching bag it seems to me (no pun intended).
We're often treated badly I agree, but this one hasn't been, he's probably set back any hope of being able to have a drink in your seat, and safe standing becoming available in one stupid act, even though neither of those are at all connected, but it'll just galvanise those that think all football fans are sub human.

I've no sympathy at all for the village idiot.

As I posted above, but we've had idiots on our own pitch in 2 games recently, one of them a kid.

I remember the one attacking Ferdinand and the kid ruining on hugging a player? Not sure about the last one. We will be behind bloody fences again soon.

Did Whitton play for Coventry at some point? Got a vague recollection of him scoring a screamer for them with the MOTD cameras present.

Can’t really agree with the last bit - what happened yesterday was close to unprecedented in English football.
Yep.decent player for Coventry iirc

They deserve to be - thick twats like this ruin it for everyone.

Look at rugby fans, all get along, allowed to drink in the stands, mix in with each other. Yet, football fans, different breed, 40/50+ year olds desperate for hooligan days to return.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.