Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where all this crap comes from that Maguire is a paceless crap defender, hes as quick as Vinny and Otimendi and looks very composed on the ball , can tackle, big and strong, he brings the ball out excellently from defence into midfield and can pass.

If its good enough for Pep?

Would be a very good signing IMO.

If pep wants him so bad then maybe we should trust him? De ligt is no doubt the number one choice but if he doesn’t want to come then I’m sure pep has done his homework on maguire and thinks he can make him a better player? Agree though, the fee is going to be a tough one to swallow.

Haha, a little OTT there. He's a very good CB and an England regular. You also have to remember the squad building and home grown quota. His head is also almost as big as Vincent's.
I am already having kittens at the thought of Ederson pinging balls at him surrounded by 2 pressing forwards.

In all honesty, he is a good defender who looks good in sides where defending is probably the main thing they do. For us he would have the ball so much more than he ever has before. Vinnie at times could look troubled with the ball at his feet on the turn, or trying to step into midfield with the ball and for me Vinnie looks a much better player with the ball at his feet than maguire does.

Not sure where all this crap comes from that Maguire is a paceless crap defender, hes as quick as Vinny and Otimendi and looks very composed on the ball , can tackle, big and strong, he brings the ball out excellently from defence into midfield and can pass.

If its good enough for Pep?

Would be a very good signing IMO.

It came from Pep himself in the Amazon documentary. He said to target him as he was slow. Agree with the rest and Pep has alluded to needing a tall, powerful defender in a previous interview.

I am already having kittens at the thought of Ederson pinging balls at him surrounded by 2 pressing forwards.

In all honesty, he is a good defender who looks good in sides where defending is probably the main thing they do. For us he would have the ball so much more than he ever has before. Vinnie at times could look troubled with the ball at his feet on the turn, or trying to step into midfield with the ball and for me Vinnie looks a much better player with the ball at his feet than maguire does.

Maguire is miles better with the ball at his feet than Vinnie. He's an excellent ball player, it's one of his main strengths and it's what has got him noticed by Pep. Southgate utilises that skillset with him for England, who play through him a lot to break the lines.

It came from Pep himself in the Amazon documentary. He said to target him as he was slow. Agree with the rest and Pep has alluded to needing a tall, powerful defender in a previous interview.

Vinny and Otimendi are hardly the fastest mate tbh, if Pep gets hold of Maguire and gets a stone in weight off him the lad will be quick enough.

Vinny and Otimendi are hardly the fastest mate tbh, if Pep gets hold of Maguire and gets a stone in weight off him the lad will be quick enough.
There is a difference between being "not the fastest" and having the turning circle of an oil tanker. I like Maguire, but he's not a top defender in a progressive team. He'd do a good job in a classic Chelsea team, instead of someone like Terry or Cahill, but he's not the kind of player you want covering large distances. He also isn't very good on the ball at all under pressure, he's great for a rampage forwards, but his one and two touch stuff wasn't even good enough when he was playing for Sheffield United in League 1

Not sure where this idea that Maguire can't play football under pressure is coming from. Maybe it's because he has the tendency to look a little clumsy because of his build. Or because he was a big threat from set pieces at the World Cup.

He's literally a ball playing CB who is comfortable in breaking the opposition lines. It's highly likely that's why Pep is drawn to him.

If nothing else it would probably get me taking an interest in international football again.
The next tournament could have an England team starting with 5 City players if we signed massive head.
Him, stones and walker, Foden and Sterling. Not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.