Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

Not a thing wrong with T20. There's a lot of revisionism from the ECB, trying to claim that people were opposed to T20 at the time. This isn't true, for the fundamental reason that amateur cricketers had played 20 over cricket for decades before the ECB "invented" it. The Hundred is a fucking stupid idea, and everyone knows it.

I was mostly commenting on the Hundred, and that it isn't that much different from T20.

My main problem with the T20 is that it kills off an other cricket for a whole month, which is dumb. It also irks me that our counties lose so many to international cashgrabbing which means, in combination with the first point, many of the test team don't actually play long form cricket for ages.

I was mostly commenting on the Hundred, and that it isn't that much different from T20.

My main problem with the T20 is that it kills off an other cricket for a whole month, which is dumb. It also irks me that our counties lose so many to international cashgrabbing which means, in combination with the first point, many of the test team don't actually play long form cricket for ages.

If it's not much different, then why bother with a fourth format? Keep it as T20, which was the original plan, before it dawned on them that they needed to differentiate from the existing T20 tournament.

Bad news for you there, the Bash carries on, the Hundred then gets slotted in as well. So your long form cricket is confined pretty much to April, May and September, while 50 over cricket (you know, this World Cup one) has been effectively abolished as of next year in this country. It gets better - for the women, 20 over cricket too has been abolished, instead it'll be this new format no one plays.

The reality is that they started with a marketing line of 100 balls and then tried to fit a game of cricket into it. If they really wanted a shorter game than T20, then they could have done, and the ECB's continual hinting that it's down to the BBC wanting a shorter time slot is both denied by the BBC and contradicted by their own insistence on adding back in things like time outs to make the damn thing longer.

I've written shitloads on the Hundred and the monumental catastrophe it is. The ONLY thing in its favour is that a few games will be on the BBC, but then the inept, useless shit for brains at the ECB are going to time the tournament for when the Caribbean Cricket League is on, so the international stars won't come, and the England players won't be involved either because of the Tests.

The ECB - the only sporting body that hates its own sport.

If it's not much different, then why bother with a fourth format? Keep it as T20, which was the original plan, before it dawned on them that they needed to differentiate from the existing T20 tournament.

Bad news for you there, the Bash carries on, the Hundred then gets slotted in as well. So your long form cricket is confined pretty much to April, May and September, while 50 over cricket (you know, this World Cup one) has been effectively abolished as of next year in this country. It gets better - for the women, 20 over cricket too has been abolished, instead it'll be this new format no one plays.

The reality is that they started with a marketing line of 100 balls and then tried to fit a game of cricket into it. If they really wanted a shorter game than T20, then they could have done, and the ECB's continual hinting that it's down to the BBC wanting a shorter time slot is both denied by the BBC and contradicted by their own insistence on adding back in things like time outs to make the damn thing longer.

I've written shitloads on the Hundred and the monumental catastrophe it is. The ONLY thing in its favour is that a few games will be on the BBC, but then the inept, useless shit for brains at the ECB are going to time the tournament for when the Caribbean Cricket League is on, so the international stars won't come, and the England players won't be involved either because of the Tests.

The ECB - the only sporting body that hates its own sport.

I concur with the overall sentiment. That 20 ball difference is going to make all the difference.

Hadn't heard of changes to the women's game. What's happening to the 50 over stuff? They got it all done in May this year.

I concur with the overall sentiment. That 20 ball difference is going to make all the difference.

Hadn't heard of changes to the women's game. What's happening to the 50 over stuff? They got it all done in May this year.

The women's game is the one thing they've got right over the last few years. Naturally, this means they're going to wreck it, the Kia Super League is being abolished.

As for the 50 over stuff, the Royal London Cup is being downgraded to a development competition - i.e. a 2nd XI/youth one. As of next season, there will be no domestic 50 over cricket at county level in this country. As a direct result of the Hundred.

The women's game is the one thing they've got right over the last few years. Naturally, this means they're going to wreck it, the Kia Super League is being abolished.

As for the 50 over stuff, the Royal London Cup is being downgraded to a development competition - i.e. a 2nd XI/youth one. As of next season, there will be no domestic 50 over cricket at county level in this country. As a direct result of the Hundred.

Oh my. Hadn't heard that. Bonkers.

Maybe, maybe not. And they've played warm ups of course between then. It's more about the astonishing thing of a World Cup, a World Cup for Christ's sake, shifting it's arrangement for the IPL. Money talks.

I’m sure the Indian spinners will appreciate wickets that may have already seen 4 or 6 innings.

Exactly. We missed a world record run chase by 14. Not exactly disgraceful, is it? We were sloppy in the field, and arguably Root and Buttler might have buckled down on getting their hundreds to get a few more that would have seen us over the line. These things will be tightened up.
Interesting tournament.

Perhaps this early loss will benefit England in getting them refocused and remind them they are in the World Cup. Then again, reminding them they are in the World Cup might not be ideal.

A defeat here and there is no big deal. Extraordinary over-reaction to England losing a game, I must say. It's as bad as the matchday thread! England were a bit below par and lost. Meh, it happens, and it happens to everyone.

The format means a team only needs to win probably 5 of the 9 matches to qualify. And England probably will. It's made the World Cup a bit more interesting though. That's good.

the thing is in the bigger games and semi finals england panic and don't turn up ?? yes the world cup format is setup to give room for a slip up or 2 but looking at the top teams west indies australia india pakistan new zealand only 4 teams will make the cut and semi final, so losing to one of them gives the others a better chances in making the top 4

england have problems at batting with bounce and spin and if we don't get off to a flyer then the middle order and tail are put under the pressure to score runs and quickly and everything is based around buttler to smash it around the park ?? the england team are under pressure because of the media and the hyping up of series wins at one day levels over the last 2 or 3 years ?? but all that means nothing when you at home and asked to win the world cup based on the last 3 years and being number 1, you still have to come out and play your game and england just don't handle the pressure like it or not

yesterday you seen england get beaten because of our bowling and batting and fielding was shocking, funny thing was we just battered pakistan in a 5 game series a couple of weeks ago, and not once did you see england panic and put under pressure ??? england are a good team but its on a base no pressure cricket and meaningless series wins and when the world cup comes along somebody turns the switch on and panic sets in

Sold out my arse. There are about 50 in Sophia Gardens for Afghan v SL.

It's obviously not a hugely attractive game today. And the weather is crap. Still, I'm always reminded of what they did in Tasmania for the 2003 RWC match between Romania and Namibia - hardly a big draw. The local government decreed that for the game in question, all those born on an odd date were Romania fans, all those on an even date were Namibia fans. The atmosphere was absolutely brilliant as people bought into it.

Obviously that kind of creativity is beyond cricket.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.