David Silva leaves City after 10 years

And so passes my favourite footballer of all time.

I remember when he first came to City, and that old Paul Merson proverb followed him around. "Will someone of his stature be able to cope with the physical nature of the Premier League?" Well, I can't ever recall hearing that question asked once he started playing regularly. Silva bent the Premier League to his will. He had this unmatched ability to not only control the pace of an individual game, but the aesthetics of the sport as a whole. Nobody plays the game like he does. It's not just that he "sees the passes nobody else does", it's the way he holds his body and moves with the ball - and the fact that he's left-footed on top of that, to be honest. You could easily pick him out a line-up just from the way he stands.

There are almost too many moments to list as examples of his brilliance - the goal at Loftus Road, that mid-air dragback against Bournemouth, the pass to Dzeko for number six - but his performance away at Hull City during the 2014 title chase always stands out for me. Down to ten men, our captain sent off after ten minutes, Javi Garcia and Martin Demichelis as our centre-back pairing, Silva might has well have taken the armband himself in that moment. He dragged us through the game with a brilliant goal from distance in the first half and then a gorgeous assist for Dzeko late on. He constantly made sure that Hull never got a foothold in the contest and made sure we left with three valuable points we never looked like getting.

The time is right, but the heart-breaking countdown has begun.

Was expecting it to be his last season, infact I think it had already been mentioned a while ago?. But what a player he's been, one of the very best midfielders to grace the prem and thankfully in a blue shirt. Definitely time to call it a day as there were signs of age catching up with him last season, still fantastic though.Cheers Dave for everything

Thank you David Silva for 10 incredible years...you will be so sorely missed. Your last game will be such a sad occasion....but what an amazing finish it would be if you ended your career at City by lifting the CL trophy aloft.

I remember when he first came to City, and that old Paul Merson proverb followed him around. "Will someone of his stature be able to cope with the physical nature of the Premier League?" Well, I can't ever recall hearing that question asked once he started playing regularly. Silva bent the Premier League to his will. He had this unmatched ability to not only control the pace of an individual game, but the aesthetics of the sport as a whole. Nobody plays the game like he does. It's not just that he "sees the passes nobody else does", it's the way he holds his body and moves with the ball - and the fact that he's left-footed on top of that, to be honest. You could easily pick him out a line-up just from the way he stands.

There are almost too many moments to list as examples of his brilliance - the goal at Loftus Road, that mid-air dragback against Bournemouth, the pass to Dzeko for number six - but his performance away at Hull City during the 2014 title chase always stands out for me. Down to ten men, our captain sent off after ten minutes, Javi Garcia and Martin Demichelis as our centre-back pairing, Silva might has well have taken the armband himself in that moment. He dragged us through the game with a brilliant goal from distance in the first half and then a gorgeous assist for Dzeko late on. He constantly made sure that Hull never got a foothold in the contest and made sure we left with three valuable points we never looked like getting.

I loved it when he so mesmerised Arsenal that that they just stood and watched as he turned a great languid circle to reboot the attack. Hypnotic.

Was lucky enough to bump in to him outside Siam park in Tenerife a few days ago and thanked him. I had a David Silva tshirt on and he seemed happy to shake my hand, have a photo and a quick chat. His english IS good.
Favourite footballer, he has everything, shooting, passing, dribbling, reads the game and loyal. A real world class player and a gent at heart.

It'll be a sad season to see David play his last for City, will miss his dynamics and brilliant quick thought.

I don't want to think of anyone taking his place just yet, I'm just going to enjoy his last season for City.

Thanks David.

Bang on....the hull game. A total none descript game in world football history......but Spanish Dave actually created magic that day. Force of will. Ability. Control and unselfish.

Quite simply the most unselfish player I have seen. Will take the ball off any team mate in any situation to ease their pain even if heavily marked himself. The best I have ever seen......
I hope he returns home with his family and has a year playing for Canary Islands and that his family are healthy and happy.

Thank you.............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.