What is Manchester to you?

We always used to call people from Failsworth plastic Mancs

Us in Newton Heath called them Biffos ;-)

I grew up on the last street in NH before it becomes Failsworth (Albert Gardens, backing onto Brookdale Park) but spent ten years 'over the border' and got tagged a Biffo for doing so by NH mates ... :D

I have met plenty who are like that. No doubt about it. However, a substantial number of those in Worsley and Swinton, in my experience, regard themselves as Manc. Not sure why. Some probably think Salford is below them. Two-bit millionaires.

That's based on living in Salford for a while, including school for a year or so and watching Salford Reds home and away for a few years.
That's because until the City of Salford council area was created in the 70s, places like Worsley, Eccles, Swinton, Walkden etc were nowt to do with Salford. They were places in their own right with a Manchester postal address. Salford proper is Ordsall, Weaste, Pendleton, Broughton, Seedley etc.

I grew up on the last street in NH before it becomes Failsworth (Albert Gardens, backing onto Brookdale Park) but spent ten years 'over the border' and got tagged a Biffo for doing so by NH mates ... :D
I lived on Averill St, NH.

Biffo’s were Yonners/Oldhamers. Oldhamers would class Failsworth as Manchester. M35. I worked in Failsworth and the address was Crown St, Failsworth, Manchester, M35. More recently it has been regarded as Oldham due to the council being Oldham.

That's because until the City of Salford council area was created in the 70s, places like Worsley, Eccles, Swinton, Walkden etc were nowt to do with Salford. They were places in their own right with a Manchester postal address. Salford proper is Ordsall, Weaste, Pendleton, Broughton, Seedley etc.

May, in part, explain it.

Biffo’s were Yonners/Oldhamers. Oldhamers would class Failsworth as Manchester. M35. I worked in Failsworth and the address was Crown St, Failsworth, Manchester, M35. More recently it has been regarded as Oldham due to the council being Oldham.

BIFFO’s stands for Big Ignorant Fuckers From Oldham

I’ve been to loads of places including Chicago and enjoyed visiting them but I don’t want to live in any of them.
Fair enough! Were it me, and I had to live in N. England, I’d probably pick the Lake or Peak District, but to each their own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.