Boddingtons Bitter

Boddies acquired Oldham Brewey around 40 years ago, the OB mild was my favourite pint as a young lad, my mates Dad ran a club, the Beaconsfield in Ashton-Under-Lyne and kept it slightly chilled. Once it moved to Boddies at Strangeways they just couldn’t get the formula right and they eventually stopped brewing the OB brand. Apparently they couldn’t replicate the yeast which at Oldham was cultivated in a cellar, I’m guessing the same happened when Boddies moved to Wales.

Hand drawn Boddies was a great pint and unlike others on here I never had a hangover after a good few pints. The beer we drink these days is shite by comparison although a well kept Caffreys is not too shabby.
OB bitter was lovely such a shame that it was swallowed up by boddies/Whitbread and JW Lees survived.

Best boddies I had was a boozer near Stamford Park... Pointsman? Rumour has it there was a stream running through the cellar which made all the difference.

Apparently the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas sells tins of Boddies for $3. I'll be there in a couple of months and provide further details at that time.

Cask Boddies disappeared a few years ago, think Hydes brewed it for a while after Strangeways brewery closed. Seem to remember the original brewery had its own well. My biggest memories of Boddies are my old fellas farts while sleeping Sunday afternoons pints off when pubs shut on a Sunday afternoon.

Had a mate who worked at the old brewery and they shared the well with Joseph Holt's apparently,who were and still are round the corner.He also told me that the well was situated underneath the prison.

Boddies acquired Oldham Brewey around 40 years ago, the OB mild was my favourite pint as a young lad, my mates Dad ran a club, the Beaconsfield in Ashton-Under-Lyne and kept it slightly chilled. Once it moved to Boddies at Strangeways they just couldn’t get the formula right and they eventually stopped brewing the OB brand. Apparently they couldn’t replicate the yeast which at Oldham was cultivated in a cellar, I’m guessing the same happened when Boddies moved to Wales.

Hand drawn Boddies was a great pint and unlike others on here I never had a hangover after a good few pints. The beer we drink these days is shite by comparison although a well kept Caffreys is not too shabby.
The particular strains of yeast are crucial to the taste of the beer. When brewing is moved, especially to another active brewery, the yeast gets infected by " foreign" airborne spores, thus changing the taste. Water supply also crucial, so very hard for the beer not to change.
Agree, original hand pulled Boddys was a fine pint.

OB bitter was lovely such a shame that it was swallowed up by boddies/Whitbread and JW Lees survived.

Best boddies I had was a boozer near Stamford Park... Pointsman? Rumour has it there was a stream running through the cellar which made all the difference.
It was the Pointsman, it’s a run down car lot these days. The Taproom was in Stalybridge and the best room in Ashton. Sunday dinner 12-2pm opening, they threw jacks out for £1 to get a game of don, there was generally about £50 in the pot so it was serious back in the day, play the wrong card and you were getting a ton of abuse, I never played. The place used to be packed Saturday tea time, lads that played football or those coming back from City and Rag games, pie and peas, a few pints of Boddies bitter and the Football Pink, happy days but City were shite then!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.