What's the ratio of City to Utd in Manchester now?

It's not as simple as that actually.

They might have more armchair "fans", but City have more season ticket holders in Manchester, and I can prove it.

This study looked at where season ticket holders in Manchester lived. The study was done in 2002, when United had just won the treble and City had just played in the 3rd division. https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/12506/1/seasonticketreport - brown1.pdf

The study found that United had 7,808 season ticket holders in "M" postcodes and City had 6,678. But when you look at a map of Greater Manchester, it's pretty clear that considering "M" postcodes as Manchester is a ridiculous way to conduct a study.

Knz4NSh.jpg

"M" postcodes include Manchester, and the Greater Manchester districts of Trafford and Salford (United strongholds) and doesn't include Greater Manchester districts of Tameside and Stockport (City strongholds), so it's no wonder United are listed as having more season ticket holders in the study. There is no data available for Tameside and Stockport, so it's impossible to do an accurate study of Greater Manchester.

But it is possible to do an accurate study of Manchester. Instead of just including the "M" postcodes, it's possible to actually just include the postcodes in Manchester. City had 2827 season ticket holders and United had 2158.

6fDuLvI.png

If you analyse each postcode individually to see whether there's more City or United, it's a sea of blue.

oKlErSd.jpg

City had 14 out of the 19 Manchester postcodes with more season ticket holders. United only had 5 postcodes in Manchester with more season tickets. And two of those (M3 and M16) are actually half in Manchester and half in Salford, so you could argue they only had 3 out of 19.

When the study was conducted, United had a capacity of 67k and City had a capacity of 35k. Theirs is now 75k and ours 55k, so assuming the increase in attendance is reflected in a similar increase in Manchester based season ticket holders:
United - 11% increase
City - 37% increase

United 2158 + 11% = 2395
City 2827 + 37% = 3873

In 2002 their attendances were almost double ours, and we STILL had more season tickets in Manchester than them. Now our capacity is only 30% fewer than theirs, we'll have far more season ticket holders in Manchester than them, without any question.
I'm aware of the postcode survey and I'm not really mithered either way tbh mate. United have more supporters/armchair fans, have won more trophies and have a bigger stadium. And they are more famous than us worldwide. I never became a blue to be like them, but we are becoming more like them as a club and fanbase each year unfortunately.

Part of me yearns to be back in the old third division at Maine Road. City meant more to me then.

I'm aware of the postcode survey and I'm not really mithered either way tbh mate. United have more supporters/armchair fans, have won more trophies and have a bigger stadium. And they are more famous than us worldwide. I never became a blue to be like them, but we are becoming more like them as a club and fanbase each year unfortunately.

Part of me yearns to be back in the old third division at Maine Road. City meant more to me then.

I totally agree they have far more fans than us in general and loads more worldwide. I couldn't give a shit about that.

But for me, City has always been Manchester's club. Even in the 3rd division. It's a big part of our identity for me.

United fans love to think they have more fans in Manchester, but this study (by a rag), at our lowest ever point and their highest ever point, proves they don't. That's not us being like them, it's us being what we always have been - Manchester's club.

How I’ve always seen it has been:

Timperley, Wythenshawe, Didsbury, Withington, Moss Side, West Gorton, Gorton, Ardwick Green, Ardwick, Ancoats, Miles Platting, Failsworth, Middleton, Cheadle, Gatley... big Blue areas.

South Altrincham, Sale, Stretford, Urmston, Lower and Higher Broughton, Ordsall, Eccles, Swinton, Crumpsall, Blackley, Moston, Cheetham Hill, Beswick, Clayton, Wigan, Bolton... big Red areas.

I totally agree they have far more fans than us in general and loads more worldwide. I couldn't give a shit about that.

But for me, City has always been Manchester's club. Even in the 3rd division. It's a big part of our identity for me.

United fans love to think they have more fans in Manchester, but this study (by a rag), at our lowest ever point and their highest ever point, proves they don't. That's not us being like them, it's us being what we always have been - Manchester's club.
I've spoken to many rags over the years, some match attending, many never been to OT. Many times I've heard their rag cliches "you'll never be as big as us" or "you'll never be as famous", or "you'll never win as many trophies". They have come out with that shit many many years. I just smile and tell them we are the present and the future, and they're living in the past. It is usually enough to stifle the ****s.

Timperley, Wythenshawe, Didsbury, Withington, Moss Side, West Gorton, Gorton, Ardwick Green, Ardwick, Ancoats, Miles Platting, Failsworth, Middleton, Cheadle, Gatley... big Blue areas.

South Altrincham, Sale, Stretford, Urmston, Lower and Higher Broughton, Ordsall, Eccles, Swinton, Crumpsall, Blackley, Moston, Cheetham Hill, Beswick, Clayton, Wigan, Bolton... big Red areas.
Urmston(in particular) Eccles and Swinton are becoming that bit Bluer :-)

No reds survive long near me boss....add Blackley to the BLUE list.

Pez was from here too.

Back in 2002, MMU did a survey of City and Utd's season ticket fan-base and found:

• Manchester City had 16,481 season ticket-holders, 40% of whom lived in Manchester.
  • Utd had 27,667 seasin ticket-holders, 29% of whom lived in Manchester.

• The result being that City fans were much more likely to be Mancs, but that Manchester in 2001, had marginally more Man Utd fans: 7,808 : 6,678.

This survey was done at possibly the zenith of Man Utd's strength, they had just won the Treble, and City had just been relegated again under Joe Royle, and we had a stadium that had been reduced in size to 34,000.

City were shortly to move to the Etihad, and then of course experience the takeover.

Where are we now? In reality, fans are stubborn so and sos. It takes a generation to change habits, but surely the last two decades of a new stadium and unprecedented success for City have had an effect?

If the two clubs did that survey now, I think they'd find a lot more City than Utd in Manchester. Anecdotally, I see a lot more City than Utd colours in Manchester, and when I say a lot more, I mean it's actually rare to see Utd fans out and about in Manchester now.

Amongst match-going fans I reckon it must be 3:1 City. Overall, higher.

There are social media surveys and digital trends etc which show Utd as No.1 but City increasing dramatically. I watched the highlights of games on tour, and I noticed they were well attended e.g. 60k against Yokohama.

How long before those dinosaurs in Fleet St realise that the world has changed? Perhaps the problem is that they are staffed by Man Utd fans who grew up in another era.

This comment was motivated by the title of a new City book: "A treble without applause." Could a title ever be more apt?
I pulled that survey to pieces in Manchester A Football History. The season ticket numbers did not match up to the true figures for some reason (City for example had a season ticket limit in place that year at about 25k - away from my stats at the mo so can’t check actual fig). So Adam, who did it, underrepresented sold out City by about 9000 season tickets. Next, his view of Manchester didn’t match with other people’s, so areas of Tameside excluded but areas of Wigan included. There’s much more to it, but using Adam’s stats (he was a founder of FCUM) I painted a picture where the city of Man and almost everything east was blue and west was mainly red (except Sale). In 2008 I asked both City & Utd for their season ticket data and got it off City but Utd refused so I couldn’t update it with a true picture.

Isn't Sale one of our strongholds for seasoncard holders?
At least it was in one of those recent surveys

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.