Var debate 2019/20

After 48 years of watching the Blues, this could be the season that finishes me, VAR is going to bring back the teams they want to be in the Big 4.It’s cheating, it’s that simple, and I’ve had enough of the powers that be taking the piss out of us.
I do believe it will bring back crowd trouble as well, it’s that divisive.
Wel, there was trouble outside as spurs fans fighting, police had their batons out.

How about?

Fuck Off V A R
I say fuck off VAR
Fuck Off V A R
I say fuck off VAR
Fuck Off V A R
I say fuck off VAR
and repeat........

I think our 3rd goal could be seen either way .......but the one thing VAR should have 100% right is the pen. Sadly it's being over looked as all the talk is about the 'goal'. That's the worrying thing for me that a 100% nailed on pen isn't given by the ref or VAR. Why didnt VAR award a pen ??

I was fuming when I went to bed last night and this morning I am no better. I remember when we lost 3-2 to the Rags, 2 clear penalties not given to us, oh don't worry said some on here, with Var it will be different. well yesterday proved it wont make one bit of difference.

With regards to the alleged handball, I have watched every conceivable angle and I cannot say for definite that it was LaPorte that touched it. I can guess it did judging by how the ball deviated but guessing isn't what VAR is about.

VAR is there to fuck us over.

A lot threatening not to go, let’s say that happens on a large scale, our owners think our fans can’t be arsed so why should we. The Club gets sold to a bloke who owns a TV store, we go down the pan, avoiding relegation is a more realistic ambition than Champions League. Colin Schindler falls in love with us again, the Rags, Dippers and Arsenal are all restored to the cosy top table and then, VAR is fucked off, job done.

There’s nowt wrong with the goal being disallowed. I think a lot of people are getting confused why so many people are so angry with VAR.

By the new handball laws of the game, that was definitely handball by Laporte and therefore no goal. The attacking team cannot have a player have the ball hit his arm in any way whatsoever, intentional or non-intentional, slight contact for full, it’s the new handball law and that was handball.

But that not why so many of us are so upset with VAR. So many of us are so upset with it because I and many others didn’t really celebrate any goals yesterday. Not properly. Because we’re all waiting for VAR. The ball hits the net and you’re immediate thought it “YEE.. oh hang on, what’s the ref doing? Is it going to be given?” And even when it is given you’re not really sure.

We’re in the stadium, the game is being played for us, in front of us, and we don’t know what’s going on. We can no longer celebrate any goal with any certainty and it’s the death of the beautiful game.

I said it yesterday, VAR is even ruining goals it doesn’t rule out.

And THAT is what’s wrong with VAR. Not whether it rightly rules goals out even for the most minor infringements.

Correct. I think it will depend on the personality of individuals. I'm sure as they get used to it, some fans will be able to not really worry about it, go apeshit when we score and if it is ruled out just shrug it off. For me, due to my personality, if I know VAR is in operation, I find myself barely able to celebrate any goal because it is more than just at the back of my mind that there's a fair chance it will be chalked off. It is the first thing I think as soon as the ball hits the net. I have always been someone who immediately looks at the lino when we score and then go mental (or not). So now I have that mentality but I need to "look at the lino" for a minute and a half, which is obviously a totally different dynamic. TBH, I was like this almost immediately even before we had a couple of these horrific moments. At Wembley a couple of years ago v Arsenal in the League Cup final, I found myself needing to wait until after VAR before feeling able to celebrate the goals. And obviously at that point the moment had well and truly gone. I knew then that regardless of the right and wrongs, it was going to kill the game for me, personally. When you throw in the way VAR seems to have gone since then, I am even more sure it will kill the game for me as opposed to any sign that I will get used to it.

On another note. I saw a lot of people suggest over the summer that VAR was going to really suit us. The suggestion seemed to be that we are an attacking team, we will be playing in the opposition area all the time and will get tons of pens. I think it is already pretty clear that in reality it is going to hammer us more than any other team. It isn't going to be used to give tons of pens that haven't been given on the pitch. I am sure some pens will be given but that isn't going to be its major use and will only be a minor factor. It is more or less just going to used to (micro)check goals. We score more goals than anyone else so we will have more VAR checks than anyone else and inevitably more goals chalked off than any other teams. I'm just wondering when the penny is going to drop with the Premier League that on both these levels VAR is going to negatively impact their product because if you have something that kills the moment a goal has been scored and is essentially a device to punish attacking play then the Premier league as a whole will suffer.
But then you throw in what happened with the Rodri (non) pen and the fact that they can arbitrarily decide to check things or not check things as they please or to arbitrarily make the decision of "was it clear and obvious" as they please and suddenly you have a tool for manipulation and whilst I think that is probably the worst aspect of all, no doubt it will be the aspect that makes the authorities think it is essential to keep it despite any potential negatives they may see.

I think our 3rd goal could be seen either way .......but the one thing VAR should have 100% right is the pen. Sadly it's being over looked as all the talk is about the 'goal'. That's the worrying thing for me that a 100% nailed on pen isn't given by the ref or VAR. Why didnt VAR award a pen ??

Exactly. And the incompetent coward in charge pointing to his ear piece as if to say "not getting a squawk from VAR so mustn't be a pen".

The fact that VAR could be used to detect the relatively innocuous Laporte "handball" but not the blatant hauling down of Rodri tells you all you need to know.

Said all along it would be used as a tool to manipulate results and that’s exactly what is happening. If Liverpool or the rags scored that goal yesterday it would never have been reviewed by the VAR and we would all be none the wiser regarding the “handball”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.