Are you glad we binned the Latin motto?

IrelandSuperman

Obviously it's been some time gone now, but what are your feelings regarding the "Superbia in Proelia" slogan we used to have? Do you miss it? Would you like us to have some sort of slogan?

Personally, I think we're better off without. To me it was just one of several silly things associated with the old crest, along with the stars (purely decorative!) and the chicken.

Obviously it's been some time gone now, but what are your feelings regarding the "Superbia in Proelia" slogan we used to have? Do you miss it? Would you like us to have some sort of slogan?

Personally, I think we're better off without. To me it was just one of several silly things associated with the old crest, along with the stars (purely decorative!) and the chicken.

Sine dubitatione.

Yes.

When I was at school my RE teacher (Chesterfield season ticket holder so no axe to grind with us) spoke Latin and said that the Superbia in “Superbia In Proelio” means an arrogance or overinflated or underserved pride in yourself.

It’s a derogatory term, not a positive.

The crest as a whole was poor. The three stars were daft and the eagle was United’s 1958 FA Cup final badge.
104.jpg

It was a bit crap at the time but given that the eagle badge coincided with a return to winning trophies for us and one of the most radical upward curves in football history (apart from 97-98), I think people will become more and more nostalgic about it. I've got a soft spot for it anyway even if I like the new badge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.