United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Dybala transfer fell through because of issues around image rights, and that Spurs struggled with the same thing?

No that was pure spin. He did not want to join United but that does not fit with the Rag/media hype. He asked for stupid money to stop the deal going through. You are not allowed to turn the Rags down (unless your name is Shearer !)

Weird that this conversation is going on in both United threads, but they have the money to spend whatever they like. Revenues over £600m, £130m+ profit in the past 3 years and EBITDA of £190m expected this year, it's almost as if the FFP rules were designed and brought in to make sure they'd always be miles ahead of the pack financially...

Do they have the pulling power? Well look at the Dybala situation this year. He demanded such insane amounts of money to join that even they couldn't justify it on top of £100m in transfer fees. So that's probably fading, but it's probably a bit of a unique situation in that he was a top player who was being flogged by his club but didn't want to leave, which doesn't happen often.

It's important we enjoy United being shit right now and don't take it for granted, because with a few competent people in charge or a mood change at the Glazers, they could go from laughably irrelevant to our biggest rivals in a very short space of time, especially if Pep doesn't extend his contract.

i would expect city to carry on regardless the day pep decides to leave,far to much investment in the club not to have the next plan and i'm sure that's been discussed to some degree by now at the club. so to become United's biggest rivals we either have to drop to their standards or they have to improve and i'm certainly not convinced it could be either, 'old saying the bigger you are the harder you fall ' ask those who run Bearings Bank,GM,Enron the list is endless and Manchester United because they are Manchester United are not exempt, a collapse on their stock on wall St could see the back of them an any moment

Last edited:
i would expect city to carry on regardless the day pep decides to leave,far to much investment in the club not to have the next plan and i'm sure that's been discussed to some degree by now at the club. so to become United's biggest rivals we either have to drop to their standards or they have to improve and i'm certainly not convinced it could be either, 'old saying the bigger you are the harder you fall ' ask those who run Bearings Bank,GM,Enron the list is endless and Manchester United because they are Manchester United are not exempt, a collapse on their stock on wall St could see the back of them an any moment
The issue with comparing United to any of those other failed institutions is that football aside (lol) they're an extremely well run club. They're the biggest brand in world football, with amazing financial and marketing power. They are the best at monetizing by a wide margin and have the revenues to prove it, all without having any real relevance on the sporting side of the business basically since SAF retired. Oh yeah, and they also were instrumental to enacting rules to stifle any real competition from arising so this won't change any time soon.

It's almost impossible for them to not stumble back into a good team at some point given the resource disparity. The next guy they have in Woodward's seat who is even remotely competent will probably have a stand named after him at some point.

funny how they go on and on and on and on about its not your money BUT POGBA get a big pay rise from adidas to stay at united ????? scum fans don't dare look in the mirror because you won't like what you see

Totally agree unfortunately. I've said it for a while to the Utd fans I can bear to talk to, that they will, at some point, come good, for exactly the same reasons that other fans slag us i.e. they will spend enormous amounts of money just to compete and will eventually get it right.
The main risk for their fans is if the Glazers don't have much of an appetite for spending the vast amounts of money that it takes to dominate a league and would be perfectly satisfied with regular CL football like Arsenal were for so long.

It's also worth mentioning that Liverpool matched the rags for spending for years (at least the whole of the 90s) without eventually getting it right. It is genuinely possible for a team with bad management to simply be shit and always playing catch up even if they spend vast amounts.

Weird that this conversation is going on in both United threads, but they have the money to spend whatever they like. Revenues over £600m, £130m+ profit in the past 3 years and EBITDA of £190m expected this year, it's almost as if the FFP rules were designed and brought in to make sure they'd always be miles ahead of the pack financially...

Do they have the pulling power? Well look at the Dybala situation this year. He demanded such insane amounts of money to join that even they couldn't justify it on top of £100m in transfer fees. So that's probably fading, but it's probably a bit of a unique situation in that he was a top player who was being flogged by his club but didn't want to leave, which doesn't happen often.

It's important we enjoy United being shit right now and don't take it for granted, because with a few competent people in charge or a mood change at the Glazers, they could go from laughably irrelevant to our biggest rivals in a very short space of time, especially if Pep doesn't extend his contract.
I agree with this. We need to make hay while the sun shines. If a new buyer takes over United, perhaps a Saudi consortium as has been rumoured, they can turn it round very quickly. United is just a huge cash machine and will remain so for years to come.

The main risk for their fans is if the Glazers don't have much of an appetite for spending the vast amounts of money that it takes to dominate a league and would be perfectly satisfied with regular CL football like Arsenal were for so long.

It's also worth mentioning that Liverpool matched the rags for spending for years (at least the whole of the 90s) without eventually getting it right. It is genuinely possible for a team with bad management to simply be shit and always playing catch up even if they spend vast amounts.

Yes - but 1 or 2 players can swing it. Take Mo Saleh out of Liverpool and they would just be another club in the top 6 - he got them into CL final then on the back of that they VVD and they won the CL and game 2nd in the PL. That was all down to the 44 goals he scored in his first year. Any top 6 club could be transformed by a player scoring that many goals.

Why should they change a winning formula? Pay out little, stay kind of relevant and the money rolls in. They are always on TV so get lots more than anyone else, 6 gazillions fans keep buying. What’s not to like. Just count the pennies as they come rolling in.

Totally agree unfortunately. I've said it for a while to the Utd fans I can bear to talk to, that they will, at some point, come good, for exactly the same reasons that other fans slag us i.e. they will spend enormous amounts of money just to compete and will eventually get it right.

As you mention, they can of course, due to the way it's rigged, outspend everyone else!

My only hope is that the day they get it right, is after I've gone. As I'm only 51, another post Busby type era will do very nicely thank you!!
I don't share your optimism for the rags getting it right.

The difference between us and them is one of vision and meticulous planning. They're like a leaf blowing in the wind. I don't think any amount of money can fix that.

During the Pisscans reign they opened up a football academy at Ashton upon Mersey school, a very well run state funded school. During his tenure they also moved from 'The Cliff' to a state of the art training facility at Carrington. 20 years on they are still at both.
We came along and put the Academy into one of the top education facilities in England we also opened 'The Campus' which blows every other clubs facilities in this country out of the water.

In simple terms they are 20 years out of date and show no signs of catching up.

it's a farmers field in truth at carrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.