Norwich (a) post-match thread

Pep didn't even pick his strongest 11 for the very last game of last season in an FA cup final, and not any old final either, with a win it completed the never been done before domestic treble. Yet he went with Jesus over Aguero. And he didn't risk starting a coming back from injury KDB either till the 2nd half.

People saying "he should pick his best 11" week in week out couldn't have been watching us since he took over, as he simply doesn't do that, and he never will.
That has probably always been his approach even pre City. He likes to work with a key squad of 17-18 all of whom he can trust and interchange. His best team is nearly always the one he picks on the day so a number of permutations are possible. Effectively he may not believe he has a "best " eleven.

That has probably always been his approach even pre City. He likes to work with a key squad of 17-18 all of whom he can trust and interchange. His best team is nearly always the one he picks on the day so a number of permutations are possible. Effectively he may not believe he has a "best " eleven.

Plus, even if he does have a best 11 in his mind, it changes, players come in and out of form throughout a long season. He went with Laporte at left back and Danilo at right back in the most important game of the season at the time, a must win v Liverpool at home. Walker was out of form in that period.

Even though he might say "one game at a time" in press conferences, he's obviously looking 2,3,4, 5 plus games down the line when he picks his teams.

We overplay the Liverpool luck angle a bit much to be fair. Yes they got some breaks last season but so did we. They have been lucky with injuries but that didn't seem to effect them against Barcelona when they overturned a 3 goal deficit without 3 or 4 regulars. With respect to Norwich it is in the past now, improvements in the way we defend are needed and lets see if we can implement them. I'm afraid very few teams are going to go all out against us expect more of the same as of late with teams adopting a mixture of selective pressing,defending deep but looking for ways to break quickly and trying to expose us a set pieces. This is in a nutshell how Norwich played at the weekend and others may follow suit. Remember after two hugely successful seasons rival coaches will have spent a lot of time working us out the potential hole starting to emerge in our central defence will have encouraged them greatly.
What I would say is, we have to defend deep for fewer minutes a game than any other team. Vinnie and Emeric/Vinnie and John/Emeric and John made defending look easy. But our two stand-outs aren't there - albeit one only temporarily, so yes, we need to work on our defending without losing our game plan of at least one CB looking for a pass to get us up the pitch.

You're right, Pep picks an eleven from 17 or 18 key players.

Reactions: CC1
One of those days and apart from the obvious poor defending and lack of quality with the final ball, finishing etc., I think we needed more energy and dynamism in midfield. If we're not going to start KDB we needed Foden in or Berny switched inside
Spot-on. Hindsight is a great thing but I was honestly surprised when I saw the team beforehand. There is just not enough pace in a middle three of Rodri, Gundogan and David Silva. We were slow in transition and ended up passing the ball sideways. They are all excellent players but it's not a good combination. That is probably the first time and last time we will try this. We needed Foden or Bernardo playing number 8 and 10 (Bernardo is fantastic in both these positions). Gundo is brilliant when we are protecting a lead. It was a very rare mistake by Pep.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC1
A lot of people focus on the finishing but I think this mostly means we take a lot of poor attempts, or at least attempts teams are perfectly happy to let us have.

It may be deliberate in a probabilistic sense to create uncertainty in defenses. And it’s probably necessary given what we face, and it has inarguably been brilliantly successful. but I do wonder if, in terms of the margins of perfection, we could be better about the use of space in the 18 yard box. (I realize how greedy and absurd that sounds.)
Stats don't lie.
In both games on average we conceded 1 goal to 2 chances (bad) and we only scored 1 in 13.5 chances (bad).
Both are twice as bad as our 2 year average! And both need to be fixed.

The only thing that surprises me after a Pep line up is released is that people are surprised.

His very first ever game he managed for us he put Kolarov centre half, so after that anything goes! :)

Incidently, I don't think that that Rodri is not quite up to speed on certain aspects of Fernandinho's game, specifically:
1. Covering inside against a wide player going down our flanks. If the full back is beaten inside, Fernandinho would be on them in a flash in a way that blocks the pass into a runner in the centre. Rodri currently stays in the centre for a moment too long as he isn't quite up to speed in trusting the two central AMs to replace him in the centre as they funnel back to defend.
2. Stepping up to break up the oposition play on a counter attack. A counter attack if initially built down the centre would have Fernandinho tackling the player in a flash. Rodri isn't quite quick enough yet.
Both of these issues are minimal, but have been exploited by our opponents. They will be fixed, but it takes time and practice.

Because we dont have a "strongest 11" anymore.
I know that is difficult for you to grasp but Pep has a squad and on any given game he will chose what he believes is the strongest 11.

Because it doesn't mirror your perception, does not make it wrong.
So kdb starting doesn't make the 11 stronger? I know that's difficult for you to grasp but it does

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.