Wolves (H) Post-Match Thread

You and Pep see football differently. Pep is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the top football coach on the planet - a genius. With Sane, Pep wants him to add other aspects to his game. Look at Sergio - goalscorer supreme - Pep has uses his other assets in a way that neither Manuel nor Roberto did. Gundogan does an unheralded job for Pep. Foden's not going to replace David at this stage, but next season he'll fight whoever the competition is for that role.
Foden should be starting a lot more games.

Jesus should be playing.

Why isn't Bernardo starting when De Bruyne is injured?

Stupid team selection today that got what it deserved.

Only read 2 pages off flapping
If we can be within 5 points of Liverpool in February, I'm very confident we can go on and win the league
Sane was a major lost for us this season as he opened games like today for us, today Wolves done a job on us and won
Long way to go yet
Last season there were no evident 'problems' per se.... We had a slump in the winter and that was it. No big tactical issues, no Laporte/Sane injuries... Fernandinho was injured but Gundo stepped up so it was fine. Same with Kev and Bernardo. And Kompany was there to steady the ship at the back when Stones was out. This season the injuries and team selection are a cause for concern. It's ok to admit that.
Also, it's easier to feel the motivation and urgency to close the gap when you're in the heat of the title race... No one's feeling the true pressures of the title race in October. Gundo said today that they're not even looking at the table right now. If the problems we've got aren't addressed, then the gap will become too big by the time we actually start feeling the urgency to try and close it.

Last season there were no evident 'problems' per se.... We had a slump in the winter and that was it. No big tactical issues, no Laporte/Sane injuries... Fernandinho was injured but Gundo stepped up so it was fine. Same with Kev and Bernardo. And Kompany was there to steady the ship at the back when Stones was out. This season the injuries and team selection are a cause for concern. It's ok to admit that.
Also, it's easier to feel the motivation and urgency to close the gap when you're in the heat of the title race... No one's feeling the true pressures of the title race in October. Gundo said today that they're not even looking at the table right now. If the problems we've got aren't addressed, then the gap will become too big by the time we actually start feeling the urgency to try and close it.
The injury problems are far more acute, in fact probably impossible to address. Liverpool would be wrecked if they lost both central defenders.

However, we have not in my opinion chosen the best way to tackle them.

I look at chelsea now, and I seen a young team taking shape because they have been forced to embrace their young players. Jesus and Foden are in that class. I think Hardwood-Bellis or Garcia maybe too and we'd have really been better off using them. I have no problem with Gundog, or Rodri or Silva, or Otamendi but it's about the team and the right mix, and we've got it wrong more than once.

The problem with Pep is that once he makes a decision he's very very likely to just pursue it to its death.

The injury problems are far more acute, in fact probably impossible to address. Liverpool would be wrecked if they lost both central defenders.

However, we have not in my opinion chosen the best way to tackle them.

I look at chelsea now, and I seen a young team taking shape because they have been forced to embrace their young players. Jesus and Foden are in that class. I think Hardwood-Bellis or Garcia maybe too and we'd have really been better off using them. I have no problem with Gundog, or Rodri or Silva, or Otamendi but it's about the team and the right mix, and we've got it wrong more than once.

The problem with Pep is that once he makes a decision he's very very likely to just pursue it to its death.
Yes exactly. Many fans and even most media outlets will run with the argument that we should've bought a CB and that we're significantly weakened by most of these injuries. That's all well and good but ultimately the team selections have been the biggest problem. We can cope with our defensive issues if the rest of the team is on point, which it hasn't been recently.

Foden should be starting a lot more games.

Jesus should be playing.

Why isn't Bernardo starting when De Bruyne is injured?

Stupid team selection today that got what it deserved.
Jesus is developing into a superb player, but Sergio is joint top scorer in the Prem. Bernardo is having to deal with a media witch-hunt - not as straightforward as pick him and he'll be fine. Pep sees things in training that we don't - he knows how players tick and how to improve them. In fact Pep sees football in a quite unique way - the guy is unique.

Yes exactly. Many fans and even most media outlets will run with the argument that we should've bought a CB and that we're significantly weakened by most of these injuries. That's all well and good but ultimately the team selections have been the biggest problem. We can cope with our defensive issues if the rest of the team is on point, which it hasn't been recently.
FFP prevented us signing a CB.

Liverpool have been as below par as us - they have had the luck and VVD to dig them out of some very deep holes. They're winning some games more by accident than design - diving strikers to get pens, GKs being beaten by pea-roller shots that go through their legs. We have had no luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.