United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perverse.

A successful business model divorced from its core function. The rags make oceans of cash because of what they are, not what they do.

It's the American model where brand trumps performance.

For now at least.
The issue that their sporting performance doesn't have an impact on their finances, as claimed by Woodward last year, is already ringing hollow. They're facing a significant fall in revenue in the current financial year and the market value of the club has dropped like a stone. That's not just on the stock market but, when our financial results are published, I suspect the the standard valuation model used to specifically value football clubs (the Markham Multivariate Model) will show that we're more valuable than them.

Just wanna see and save the one of Mancini giving it large to Fergie .. looked for ages .. anyone ?
570678083.gif

The issue that their sporting performance doesn't have an impact on their finances, as claimed by Woodward last year, is already ringing hollow. They're facing a significant fall in revenue in the current financial year and the market value of the club has dropped like a stone. That's not just on the stock market but, when our financial results are published, I suspect the the standard valuation model used to specifically value football clubs (the Markham Multivariate Model) will show that we're more valuable than them.

Yes, I've read your posts on this.

I agree, the rags financial clout is not entirely divorced from their performance on the field, I can only assume Woodward thought that Utd could maintain their "there or there about" top fourish Premier League status, and Utd's present mid table mediocrity and dire performances has thrown an unexpected spanner in his financial planning.

In his defence, he's not alone in being surprised at just how fast the rags have declined. It's worth noting that Woodward is a great fan of the Liverpool model, not winning the Premier League but still coining it over the decades, not actually being a contender, just appearing to be one, with all the cost savings that come with it

I suspect one of the few things you and I agree on is we shed no tears for the rags present predicament, but whether this is an inexorable slide in to permanent decline (or as permanent as the varying fortunes of sport allow) or just a slump only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.