Do we now need to break our salary cap.

oakiecokie

Interesting piece of gossip but I have my doubts as it came from the Star but this took my eye :

Manchester City are preparing a £450,000-a-week deal for Raheem Sterling in a bid to fend off interest from Real Madrid in the 24-year-old England forward.

We know from our "Knobhead Neighbours" that paying ridiculous salaries can sometimes have an adverse effect on some members of a squad.
This thread isn`t just about Sterling as it has further implications on future transfers.Do other players like KDB,Ederson,Sergio and Bernardo go knocking on Txiki`s door looking for parity ?
May be it is only media shit stirring,but do we need to break the bank in upping the salaries to those world class players and indeed to new arrivals ?

I definitely think the bar will raise with the next set of extensions for the likes of De Bruyne and Sterling.

edit -

That Sterling figure is made up though and is just more of ‘omg look how much Sterling is on’ type headline. Look at the author’s twitter profile. Says it all.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't, other than that I don't really care because it isn't my money. We don't pay the highest wages now or pay the highest fees and we're doing OK.

As long as they keep a decent amount of it linked to results, we can probably afford to increase them. £450k sounds like bollocks though.

Pay what It takes, that’s the bottom line of you want to keep or attract the best players. United have set the benchmark in the country for stupid wages and that is inevitably going to influence the amounts we will have to pay.

Last edited:
We have to pay similar rates to other top clubs. No real loyalty in football - albeit we should be PROUD of the fact that many of our players have been with us for a considerable length of time - despite our supposed wage structure

Time to up the ante with the next round of reviews to keep the best & and attract the next batch of super players. But - we have to continue to be very selective (unlike the rags)

Last edited:
Interesting piece of gossip but I have my doubts as it came from the Star but this took my eye :

Manchester City are preparing a £450,000-a-week deal for Raheem Sterling in a bid to fend off interest from Real Madrid in the 24-year-old England forward.

We know from our "Knobhead Neighbours" that paying ridiculous salaries can sometimes have an adverse effect on some members of a squad.
This thread isn`t just about Sterling as it has further implications on future transfers.Do other players like KDB,Ederson,Sergio and Bernardo go knocking on Txiki`s door looking for parity ?
May be it is only media shit stirring,but do we need to break the bank in upping the salaries to those world class players and indeed to new arrivals ?

Wow, he must have signed the worlds shortest contract last season.

I'm no financial guy but the way I see it is that the contracts we give to our top players are among the best in the business.
Reading in the media that Raheem is on X and KDB is on Y is all speculation. Who knows who gets paid what, it's all made up guesswork by the media.

What we are up against is a lifestyle choice of whether a player wants to play say in a a warmer climate/experience a different culture / way of life for a period of their footballing career, RM or Barcelona for example.

I personally think the money side of things is not a major factor in making a players mind up. Of course they need to be paid the going rate to fit in with their standing within the game and Raheem for one, is the next up and coming superstar of the game in my opinion.

We have had great players / players who are still here who have committed themselves to City and have played their main / most important career years with / for us.

Raheem appears to be settled and happy here and I for one hope he decides to play his entire career with us. He's on a long term contract presently, we don't have to sell but ultimately it lies with what the player wants to do (see Sane!)

You have to evaluate what it would cost to replace him with a similar quality player, if there is one out there. If we sold him mid contract we would get top dollar for him, but that would be negated by having to sign his replacement, unless we had a gem in the reserves waiting in the wings. Presuming and hoping he is going to keep on improving, if we doubled his wages for another five years then that would be around sixty million extra, but probably worth it.

Personally I think he will move on. He strikes me as a player that wants new experiences and he has won everything domestically here, so a move to Spain may suit him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.